Any reviews of Jay Morrisons academy

36 Replies

I have just passed my Michigan Real Estate exam and trying to figure out my next step. I have heard of Jay Morrisons Real Estate Academy and thought about trying that. As I have started listening to the podcasts. It seems a lot of these guys are out to just take your money and not teach you things for a good foundation. Any suggestions/opinions are welcome.

Hey @Brandon S. Lewis What are you looking to learn? Have you decided on a broker yet?

Just

getting started I would recommend reading the blogs here on the site and listening to the podcast. There are also some great books out on Real Estate Investing. You can also join your local REIA Club . There are all sorts of valuable and free resources available to learn your own style of investing and to develop your own niche. If you have any other questions about finding a broker or a local reia club let me know.

@Brandon S. Lewis  Yes, I just cancelled my membership from JMA. Not taking anything away from the dude or saying he is a fraud by any means but the things he teaches were things that I already knew because my education did not start there. Also the lessons I got from his academy were things that I found on youtube as well, FOR FREE! I have found this site much more helpful than Jay Morrison's academy so I chose to cancel my subscription and learn from here as well as experience. Trust me he is not going to tell you anything that you can't research on your own. My recommendation is that you put that $97 a month towards marketing or buying property or whatever your RE niche is! 

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

@Brandon I can honestly say the Jay Morrison Academy has changed my life. Yes it may be some videos in the academy that are on youtube, but the academy gives you so much more. What you will take away most from the academy is how to brand your business. Nobody else teaches that, and in my opinion that is the most important aspect of real estate. In the academy he also holds a bi-weekly conference call where you can ask him anything you want to help your business. Great investment if you ask me bro.

i am also a jma member being a member is great i learned a lot of things about real estate plus i made new network and have done couple of deals i am only 19 years old and i am currently looking at buying my first apartment building already.

@Brandon S. Lewis Jay is good as a motivator. His information is very entry level, the most basic info and concepts. The majority you probably already learned during your RE Prep class. He  appeals to minorities because his story is relatable to most people in the urban community. If you are looking to wholesale honestly I would say stick to being an agent because they are truly no differences. You do the same work wholesaling as a real estate agent. If you are looking to fix n flip, buy and hold rentals, lease option etc... There are better options than Jay Morrison

This is great that there's a thread on this. I had the same exact question about the academy. I've personally decided not to do it, just due to my situation, but perhaps in the future when I'm capable I'd like to read into it just to reaffirm some things.

Hey I'm just now looking into real estate as a full fledge career path what suggestion may you have for me and any knowledge you may want to sure? Books anything it doesn't matter as long as it is legit and I can grow from it 

@Todd Richardson there are a few books that are suggested as good reads that are listed on this site as well as on the podcasts. I'm currently reading two great book, Managing Rental Properties and The book on Rental Property investing that were both written by Brandon Turner.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

IMO, you should seek out mentors who are doing deals in your area.  Not only do they know how to make money in your backyard, you can talk to people who have done business with them.  Online "gurus" aren't always who they seem.

@Troy Cole I am currently in the north Jersey area and I saw an ad on Craigslist and called the number. They said something about $97 a month to cover the cost of some software they use and the rest is free. The ad said your learn from a top real estate investor in the country, get all your deals funded, and have the potential to make $4K a week. I;m wondering if this could be Jay Morrison / Jay Morrison Academy? 

I've seen $12,000 for tuition. All I see are people wanting to have a better life through real estate, and wanting to learn. 

I agree that reading, planning,  networking, and execution are key.

Originally posted by @Marc Brown :

IMO, you should seek out mentors who are doing deals in your area.  Not only do they know how to make money in your backyard, you can talk to people who have done business with them.  Online "gurus" aren't always who they seem.

Mr. Brown do you mentor? I am looking for a mentor I have actually considered moving to Atlanta so I could be around like mine dedicated people.... seems as if no one wants to help out in the Jersey Philly Delaware tri-state area man..... everyone I come across says no or just join your local REIA like..... I've done all that and I've been a hamster on the running wheel for over a year now..... I really wish I could get some hands on 1:1 teaching experience and knowledge

Originally posted by @Antuan Sumiel :
Originally posted by @Marc Brown:

Mr. Brown do you mentor? I am looking for a mentor I have actually considered moving to Atlanta so I could be around like mine dedicated people.... seems as if no one wants to help out in the Jersey Philly Delaware tri-state area man..... everyone I come across says no or just join your local REIA like..... I've done all that and I've been a hamster on the running wheel for over a year now..... I really wish I could get some hands on 1:1 teaching experience and knowledge

What value proposition have you offered to the people you've asked?

Originally posted by @Marc Brown :

I have always left that part up to them....it's there time that they would be give to me I never put a price on it all I say is that if you are willing to mentor what would that look like financially? Most of the replies are sorry I don't mentor or so form of ahhh sorry kid it's a tuff business but good luck out there.... NETWORK.... smh yea like I already knew that much thanks

@Antuan Sumiel , the problem you run into when just looking for a "mentor" is that the people who are somewhat established generally either: a) have very little free time since they are actively running their business, or b) have free time because they are semi-retired and no longer growing their business or as actively involved.  It's not that people don't want to help you - successful real estate folks tend to have an abundance mentality and want to see others succeed in the industry as much as possible.

But if you are offering relatively unskilled help then it's usually easier for the investor to just hire someone directly who can be paid a low wage but be accountable for their area of responsibility, rather than a "free volunteer" who is there for knowledge and therefore isn't accountable if the work doesn't get done.  Many investors would rather pay someone for an hour of work than take an hour of their time to explain the task to someone who likely won't be a part of their long-term team.

Many of the 'gurus' do overcharge for what they are offering, but the idea behind charging for their services is to compensate them for the time they aren't doing deals, and also to see who is serious about learning.

If you are interested in finding a "mentor", the best thing in my opinion is counter-intuitively to look for a PAID position you can take in a small real estate company.  Work for very cheap but make sure you are providing value and accountability just as an employee would.  You can work as an agent, a secretary, a bird dogger, back office, etc.

Either that, or provide value to the people you are looking to work with by taking action on your own such as finding deals or motivated sellers (even if you can't afford them yourself), getting pre-approved for financing to buy your own properties, getting your real estate agent license, networking with other wholesalers and helping to market their deals, fully educate yourself by reading all the BP books and others, raise capital that you can lend to others, etc. etc. etc.

Originally posted by @Ethan Giller :

@Antuan Sumiel , the problem you run into when just looking for a "mentor" is that the people who are somewhat established generally either: a) have very little free time since they are actively running their business, or b) have free time because they are semi-retired and no longer growing their business or as actively involved.  It's not that people don't want to help you - successful real estate folks tend to have an abundance mentality and want to see others succeed in the industry as much as possible.

But if you are offering relatively unskilled help then it's usually easier for the investor to just hire someone directly who can be paid a low wage but be accountable for their area of responsibility, rather than a "free volunteer" who is there for knowledge and therefore isn't accountable if the work doesn't get done.  Many investors would rather pay someone for an hour of work than take an hour of their time to explain the task to someone who likely won't be a part of their long-term team.

Many of the 'gurus' do overcharge for what they are offering, but the idea behind charging for their services is to compensate them for the time they aren't doing deals, and also to see who is serious about learning.

If you are interested in finding a "mentor", the best thing in my opinion is counter-intuitively to look for a PAID position you can take in a small real estate company.  Work for very cheap but make sure you are providing value and accountability just as an employee would.  You can work as an agent, a secretary, a bird dogger, back office, etc.

Either that, or provide value to the people you are looking to work with by taking action on your own such as finding deals or motivated sellers (even if you can't afford them yourself), getting pre-approved for financing to buy your own properties, getting your real estate agent license, networking with other wholesalers and helping to market their deals, fully educate yourself by reading all the BP books and others, raise capital that you can lend to others, etc. etc. etc.

What he said.