Bigger Pockets vs Scott Yancey

Bigger Pockets vs Scott Yancey

Real Estate Investor · Delanson, NY · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello I'm new to this and very excited to get started, but I want to know opinions of the best way to proceed.  I signed up for the Scott Yancey thing and attended the first 2 days of the 3 day weekend.  I soon found out that they wanted a big investment to teach me how to be an investor, but I could see they were using all the tricks in the book and lots of pressure to get people to drop 30K to attend their investment summit in Las Vegas.  Has anyone gone through this Summit and or are there any advantages in doing this?  Can I get the same guidance through Bigger Pockets?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
11y

@Cynthia Rathbone 

welcome to the site. Save your money you do not need to attend the expensive guru seminars. All of the information & more can be found here on the site.

My group attended a Guru seminar recently, take a look at the forum I started about our experience HERE I think you will find the content in the forum interesting. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Cynthia Rathbone 

    welcome to the site. Save your money you do not need to attend the expensive guru seminars. All of the information & more can be found here on the site.

    My group attended a Guru seminar recently, take a look at the forum I started about our experience HERE I think you will find the content in the forum interesting. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Cynthia Rathbone 

      bigger pockets is generally anti guru... If you do not want to work your way up in the business and want to pay for instant success, then you may want to look for more of one on one type of paid mentors... these free for all guru events are full of information but very hard to cram what would take you years to learn into a 3 day weekend.

    BP has a bunch of regular investors that share their investing theories and stories and some of this may help you and its free.. really depends on your learning style... Me personally I have no patience to listen to pod cast or that type of thing I am one who needs to learn by doing...

    So for me doing was to get my RE license and start to sell real estate learn there then moved into investing once I understood what investing was.. and I made money while I was learning..

    Much of what is talked about on BP and by Guru's is all the same...it generally revolves around buying a SFR low and selling it high... in whatever form you can do it.. nothing magical about that thought process.

    The big issue is were are you financially to step into investor roll you need funds.. If you have no funds you need money partners..

    You can buy old Carleton sheets course's or any other guru course for pennies start reading there and some of the RE books you can get at the library..

    You can troll around BP you will get 17 answers to each question.. so it or many not help you

  • Real Estate Investor · Delanson, NY · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thank you both for your advice.  The guru course emphasizes that you have a $750K letter to back up every sale so that you can secure the sale.  Essentially secure the property. Is this truly possible? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 38 votes
    11y

    @Cynthia Rathbone Everything the gurus teach you will be found on Bigger Pockets. If you're worried about getting a $750k prequal letter, any hard money lender can provide you with something similar. Read the guides here on BP and use your 30k on an actual purchase.

  • Robert AdamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    11y

    Spend more time on BP and save your money for actual real estate investments. Here is another thread about Yancey's seminars and how they upsell you for $40k once you are there. http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/174895-scott-yancey-flipping-vegas

    BP might have just saved you $40k.

    The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Companies4.970 Reviews
  • Mount Holly, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hello:    I am a reporter for CBSNews.com who is working on a story about home flipping seminars like one that Yancey offers.  Would you be interested in speaking with me?  Jonathan Berr

  • Investor · Cooranbong, New South Wales · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Berr:

    Hello:    I am a reporter for CBSNews.com who is working on a story about home flipping seminars like one that Yancey offers.  Would you be interested in speaking with me?  Jonathan Berr

     Did you ever finish the story about these seminars?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.