Commercial Real Estate Analysis

5 Replies

Afternoon all,

I was hoping some of you may have some recommendations for a book (or books) on commercial real estate investing. I have a background in zoning, land planning, and construction but am looking to fill in some gaps when it comes to developing and purchasing commercial properties I am currently interested in multi-family and office space but the book could be comprehensive. Anyone have any recommendations for technical books covering commercial real estate evaluation, laws, and development. A recommendation for a textbook that any of you have liked on these topics would be great. Really appreciate your time!

@kyle 

@Kyle J. for commercial development I recommend "Real Estate Development: Principals and Process. Third Edition" - it's hefty but has the technical level of detail you're asking about. 

For office I recommend, How to Win in Commercial Real Estate Investing. The title suggests it is all commercial real estate - which it is - however, Craig's focus is office and the book slants office. 

For apts, I recommend, The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apts by Steve Berges. I actively do multifamily and found this book helpful when I was getting started. 

@Joe Fairless

Thanks for the response! I ordered all three from Amazon and already finished "How to Win...". Really easy read and a good fundamentals book. "Real Estate Development: Principals and Process" arrives tomorrow so I'll let you know how I like it once I dig in.

Again, thanks for your time and input.

@Joe Fairless ftw.

I also found What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow...and 36 Other Key FInancial Measures by Frank Gallinelli a must have.

@Douglas Dowell

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out too.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.