Brian Gibbons

17 Replies

A quick comment about Brian Gibbons, if I may.

I have never met Brian but for the last several months I have been following his posts, along with posts from other people, on this blog. His posts have always been well thought out and content-rich, in my opinion.

I went to briangibbonsreicoach.com where he gives away tons of free info and also offers personal mentoring.

I had the chance to communicate with him today and I could not have been more impressed. Even though I am a "newbie" and have limited knowledge about creative real estate, he was kind enough and patient enough to  spend a significant amount of time with me.

He discussed how to approach an owner and how to structure different deals, how to Joint Venture with a seller,  which neighborhoods to buy houses in and why,  how to find owners ready to sell on good terms, and much, much more including a quick review of IRS taxation, trusts and Dodd-Frank.

Thank you BiggerPockets and thank you Brian Gibbons.

Disclosure: I am Brian Gibbons of www.BrianGibbonsREICoach.com

You are very welcome @Gary Sullivan !

You are a very bright individual.  You grasped many aspects of creative financing very quickly.

I look forward to assisting you in building a successful REI business in Palm Springs California.

@Gary Sullivan    I for one think that paid for one on one mentoring with someone you trust and like is of a great amount of value as long as you can afford it.

there is only so much one can learn reading on line ... and most pod cast just gloss over topics and really don't get into the nitty gritty... a good mentor paid for or not can really short cut the learning curve and probably the money you spend on a paid for coach or mentor is money you would have lost trying to do it on your own.. and failing because you did not know what you did not know.

I for one thinks its horrible advice when people on BP say to not pay for education save that money and buy a house... even if you lose money your getting hands on education.. I think that thought process is flawed to the extreme.. Much better to get trained up front so that you don't lose money and get discouraged...

Some of these folks recommend buying some 20k crapper rental  like that is an education LOL... good luck with it.

I had the opportunity to speak with Brian this morning, and I'm very appreciative of his time, which was considerable.

I have a unique situation, in that I am a licensed agent as well as having been an investor in the past.  But I also have some serious health challenges, which are getting worse seemingly by the day.

Even though I have my license, I feel as though I learned enough to pass the state exam, but not enough to feel comfortable going out and doing business.  And contrary to popular belief, it is not easy or inexpensive to get started as an agent.

Brian had some concrete, actionable ideas for me to pursue.  And he was very gracious and understanding. 

Frankly, if I had the money I would sign up for his program.  As someone who has invested in the past and is currently licensed, I am very aware of how much the laws have changed and how easy it is to get yourself in trouble.  In my opinion, if you can afford it a mentor is a great way to go.

This post has been removed.

@Brad Carrier  doubt you will ,  

the fact is 90% of the folks on this site that come and go who are not in the actual real estate industry will ever do much more than flail at RE... especially new folks with no experience..  And of course depends on the part of the country you live in and what you really want to do.  

Its fun to read all this stuff and post on line and talk about how your going to go at it but this is a very very tough industry that tends to spit out the vast majority.

We have to remember the bar for entry.   IE there is none  LOL.. so you have some folks that will do well but they would do well at whatever they choose and then you have the dreamers.. those that want it dream it but don't have the skill sets ,, the plain smarts etc to ever do anything in RE takes a lot of stars aligning to be successful at this.

If your married you need your spouse 2000 % on board with your all emcompassing new job.. etc etc

Disclosure: Yes I am Brian Gibbons, 1 on 1 REI Coach at REISkills.com

@Glenn Elliott

You are in the middle of the training, and about to talk to sellers, buyers and agents.

I have spent many hours with you thus far, and have talked with you and your TX attorney regarding residential contract law in TX.

Yow now are saying you are either moving to Ohio or Nevada for your welding profession. Please hang in there, you will do well if you persevere and if do not quit.  Both Ohio and Nevada have great opportunities.

I will add this "Credo of Real Estate Investors" to inspire you not to quit in the middle of your 12 month commitment to yourself, your family and to me.

And remember my conditional guarantee: If you remain coachable, implement the training, do the marketing, network at REIAs, practice the negotiation skills with sellers and buyers and agents, get off your butt and off your computer, talk to people every day about being private lenders and JV money partners for your business, talk to me 2 hours per week for 52 weeks, etc, another words implement the training I give you, and for any reason you do not recoup your $7000 training investment with me over 12 months, I will refund your money AFTER 12 MONTHS. But you need to get out there and talk to people.

No other REI trainer offers that guarantee.

But you have to do the work.  It is CONDITIONAL.   You can not be a "coach potato."

Stay the course.

Brian

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Our Credo as Real Estate Investors:

I am a Real Estate Investor.

Of all of the occupations I have tried, researched, pondered, and read about over the years, there is none which compares to mine. My work is fun. I take ugly houses and make them beautiful. I help people out of difficult situations.

I am a Real Estate Investor. I am my own boss. I often work in my pajamas from the comfort of my home. I have no employees to baby sit, no perishable inventory to move, no franchise fees to pay, and no store to maintain. Still, I am in the top 5% of all income earners.

I am a Real Estate Investor. I now enjoy freedoms I’ve never had before. I am the master of my day. I choose who to work with. I choose my hours, and I decide if I will work 20 hours or 40 hours this week. I can also choose to take the day off, without obtaining anyone’s permission. I can take a month-long vacation. I can sleep in, or take a power nap after lunch if I want. I can review my notes and return my calls while lounging in my jacuzzi. I no longer have to commute during rush hour.

I have the freedom to spend lots of time with my wife and children. I do not have the stress and pressure of needing to close my next deal by the end of the week, by the end of this month, or even by the end of this year.

I live in one of the nicest neighborhoods, in one of the most beautiful states, in the best country that has ever existed on this Earth.

I am a Real Estate Investor. There are many who ‘want’ to be like me; many who are ‘studying’ to be like me; and many more who would be like me, but are just waiting for ‘this opportunity to appear’ or ‘that circumstance to change’… At the end of the day, very few actually are like me.

I have been very fortunate and blessed. I am finally living my dream. I love doing what I do, and I would not trade places with anyone, nor trade my life experiences for anyone else’s.

I am driven by the belief that life is short, and we need to ‘make a difference’ in the short time that we’re here, because after all is said and done, it’s really not about ‘us.’

I am a Real Estate Investor.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

What others think of me at BP...

Forums Filter Results

• Brian Gibbons

@BrianGibbonsWhile I don't want to seem too starry eyed and bushy tailed, I must acknowledge Brian Gibbons for what he does...
    (2 replies)

Tiny 1448324316 avatar reiskills

Brian Gibbons
    39 minutes ago

• Brian Gibbons

I am a newbie in this business and I have been looking for a mentor/coach to guide me and help me navigate the rough waters of Los Angeles real estate. I had a VERY interesting 60 minute&n...
    (40 replies)

Tiny 1448386327 avatar financexaminer

Bill Gulley
    40 minutes ago

• Brian Gibbons

A quick comment about Brian Gibbons, if I may.I have never met Brian but for the last several months I have been following his posts, along with posts from other people, on this blog. His...
    (6 replies)

Tiny 1448322693 avatar jlh

Jay Hinrichs
    41 minutes ago

• Thank you Brian Gibbons

I want to thank Brian Gibbons taking the time to walk me through the different options I have with a prospective seller.Not only did I gain a better understanding of executing a sub 2 and...
    (3 replies)

Tiny 1416189774 avatar cipherdayo

Dayo Osibamowo
    7 minutes ago

• Brian Gibbons - Telephone Call

Hi everyone! A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of speaking with Brian Gibbons on the phone for about half an hour. He is very knowledgeable, and for a newbie like me ...
    (5 replies)

Tiny 1448324316 avatar reiskills

Brian Gibbons
    36 minutes ago

• Brain Gibbons coaching

Hi all - I just had a fantasticcall/discussion with Brian Gibbons on all the important topics & aspects of various real estate deals... he helped me get focused and energized on a course ...
    (0 replies)

Tiny 1399767571 avatar cfissell

Carl F.
    over 1 year ago

• COACHING

I need a Coach! I have created a LLC, first Direct Mail Campaign done with 400 mailings, website created, working on creating a system fast. Elite Homes, LLC has a CEO & a CFO as members. Gettin...
    (7 replies)

Tiny 1399703022 avatar rehabber7 tn

Bryan L.
    over 1 year ago

I set up a 1 on 1 session, 4 pm PCT today with Glenn.

Here is a video of the session.

@William Johnson

Could you comment on your negotiatouion training with me?

Was it valuable to your business?

Could you discuss the $20K flip you earned based on my advice - training to you?

Be ‘The Doctor’ to Seller’s Problems – Unknown Author
If you want to really be successful as an investor, you must consider yourself as “The Doctor” to the Seller’s problems. Just like medical doctors, Sellers must see you as being professional, well-educated, acting in their "patient's” best interest, and bound by a high code of ethics.

The medical process is the same everywhere. Whenever you go to a doctor, of any kind, for any condition, he will follow the three-part sequence of examination, diagnosis and prescription.

Unfortunately, most new investors do it backwards. They spend all of their time telling the Seller about their company, services, and how great they are, instead of finding out what the Seller wants or needs.

At the end of the conversation, they know all about the investor, but the truth is that the Seller DOESN’T CARE ABOUT THE INVESTOR! At best, if they haven't fallen asleep or tuned the investor out, they have already made a decision. And that decision is to NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH AN INVESTOR THAT TAKES NO TIME TO UNDERSTAND THEM.
BEGIN WITH A THOROUGH EXAMINATION

Just as a medical professional would never think of treating you without following these three steps in order, you as a doctor of selling, would never allow a Seller to force you to sell without you going through your three stages as well. In the examination phase, you ask excellent questions, carefully prepared, in sequence, which are geared to give you a thorough knowledge of the Seller's condition or situation.

The first thing they do is ask you to fill out a medical history form. They want to know about your ailments, illnesses and injuries.

Your family's medical history. Are you allergic to any drugs? Have you seen other physicians? Who? When? This history form for investors would be the Seller’s Questionnaire which they fill out to help us determine what their real needs and wants are.
Then the doctor comes in, asks you lots of questions, and begins to examine you. He listens to your heart and lungs. Taps your knees and elbows with a rubber mallet to check your reflexes. He looks into your eyes and ears, and up your nose with a little flashlight. He makes you open your mouth, pushes downyour tongue with a depressor, and makes you say AH, while he looks down your throat (and you start coughing).

For investors, this examination would be the inspection of the property, where you fill out everything you see right or wrong with the property and take notes of what the costs are for repairing, rehabbing, or minor fixing. Depending upon the answers to the questions and the results of the inspection, more questions will be asked to see what other things we need to know before prescribing a solution.

The Key Is To Find The Seller’s Pain

Investors often miss this important variable therefore they don’t really know what strategy to take when dealing with a Seller. If the Seller was not in "pain" they would have never called you, but they did call you because they knew that they had a problem that needed fixing. You've got to discover the financial impact or economic value of the problem. You've got to get the Seller to tell you how much it's costing them or how much sleep they are losing because something isn't right with their house situation.

DIAGNOSE THE SELLER’S NEEDS ACCURATELY

The second phase is that of diagnosis. In the diagnosis with a Seller, you would repeat the results of your examination and double check to be sure that the problems that you had detected were the real “pains” being experienced by the Seller. You would ask additional questions to confirm and corroborate. You and the Seller would mutually agree that this diagnosis seems to be an accurate description of the condition or problem.

MAKE THE RIGHT PRESCRIPTION

Once this mutual agreement has been reached, and you have identified the “pain” accurately, you can move on to phase three. This is the prescription phase, where you show the Seller that your service is the best available treatment, taking all the factors of the Seller's situation into consideration for their pain. You show that, on balance, what you are suggesting is the best of all possible solutions.

Investors who sell the way that doctors treat patients find that their deals proceed far more smoothly and result in bigger and better profits in less time. Spend more time asking great questions, and less time talking about yourself and your company, and you'll create more opportunities, close more sales, and make more money. By asking better questions, and being interested in the answers, you can discover what the Seller’s problems and issues are and then offer a solution. Most of the time, if they are not motivated, they will tell you straight out, right then and there. Hopefully, you did not make a trip for them to tell you this, but you learned this when you spoke to them on the phone using the Seller’s Questionnaire to gather information.

During each conversation, you should ask detailed and pointed questions about what the Seller is trying to accomplish; and what their goals and objectives are. A question I also like to ask is “What would you like to see happen?” And then I LISTEN and take detailed notes about everything the Seller is saying while filling out the Seller’s Questionnaire -- even on appointments. It’s okay, they will respect that you are taking notes on how you can help them better.

Another good question I like to ask is, “What would you like our company to do to help you?” This question really allows me to find out what the Seller is thinking and exactly how I can help them. So I really don’t have to guess or pressure them because getting to their motivation is just a couple of questions away.

And once I ask those key questions, I know I have a deal or not.

And to seal the deal, the one question I use is: "When would you like our company to help you in your situation?”

If the Seller tells you that they have no real timeline, that they will just wait until the property sells, this is often a sign you are not dealing with a motivated Seller.
Make sure you protect your time by being willing to walk away if it becomes clear that there isn’t enough motivation.

No matter how the Seller responds, your main goal is to open a line of communication and develop a conversation about the property and the needs of the Seller. I know that some deals take 5-7 contacts before they close so an important aspect of our System is follow-up.

Even though they may not do business today, they certainly can call you back 3-9 months later because you keep sending postcards and letters and are constantly on their minds. Here is where you separate yourself even further from the other investors and buyers.
I used to get surprised if they called me after a meeting or a phone conversation I had with them a year ago, but by continuing to send them letters and postcards, they remember me and call me because I was first on their minds.

So, if you will treat your real estate business like a doctor’s by understanding and diagnosing a Seller’s problems, you will make just as much as doctor and even more. Enter Comment
Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons :

@William Johnson

Could you comment on your negotiatouion training with me?

Was it valuable to your business?

Could you discuss the $20K flip you earned based on my advice - training to you?

@Brian Gibbons was very valuable to my business...that being you had better be prepared to work your tail off.  He is obviously very experienced in real estate deals and has gotten that way through tenacity and hard work.  He expects that from his students and, you had better be prepared to put yourself outside of your comfort zone.  BTW the 20k was a wholesale deal which is even better than a 20k flip.

@William Johnson

Your success is in your tenacity and ability to work outside your nature, learning the negation and NLP, mirroring your seller prospects, and CLOSING your first appointment with a "letter of intent to lease or purchase"

It is important to say you live outside the USA, in French Quebec!

"Disclosure: I am Brian Gibbons of www.BrianGibbonsREICoach.com"

I had to chuckle with this Disclosure. For someone with 4,800 posts, I'd hope you were the real Brian Gibbons. Is this a time for a Steve Harvey joke?

Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons :

@William Johnson

Your success is in your tenacity and ability to work outside your nature, learning the negation and NLP, mirroring your seller prospects, and CLOSING your first appointment with a "letter of intent to lease or purchase"

It is important to say you live outside the USA, in French Quebec!

Using the awesome techniques that I've learned from you I'm very confident that I will get my first rent to own shortly.  The key is to get the tenant buyers qualifying themselves immediately and you gave me tools and the understanding of why I needed to do that (I paid for it as well)).  I can honestly say that without that key part of the interaction I would be about 90% less powerful in my conversations with tenant buyers.  

There is much more than that but, that alone will be worth 100's of thousands of dollars to me. 

@William Johnson

William I expect $100K of income in the next 12 months from you!

Go get em!

Coach Brian

I want to thank Brian Gibbons for  the 1 on 1 coaching. Had a inspiring conversation and although it was 1 session, he called me late which was good which means he works outside the standard "time" box. He's very informative x would be a great Mentor for me as a newbie, and hopefully one day I will be able to work my way into his program. 

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide