Votes
Peter Street
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Basement Dig-Out in DC

Peter Street
  • Washington, DC
Posted Feb 13 2018, 14:14

I recently bought a semi-detached house in Crestwood and have been exploring converting the basement into a rental apartment.  The space has a lot of potential -- it is ~900 SF and partially below-grade so there is good natural light.  A very conservative estimate of rental income is $1,500/month.  

Before buying the house, I knew I needed to replace the  HVAC and boiler and improve the drainage in the basement, so these items will be part of the project.

The scope of the work  includes:

- Underpinning one wall of roughly ~45 LF (because our footers are uneven).  Currently, there is 6'9" of clearance (below the 7' required for renting); underpinning this one wall gets us to 7'2.5".  I would love to get to 8' (or higher), but it just seems cost prohibitive.

- Installing perimeter drainage system, sump pump, insulating walls.

- Pouring a new slab.

- Cutting a new egress door.

- Finishing with Ikea-grade kitchen and bathroom.

- Replacing HVAC and boiler.

This will be my first construction/renovation project and I've been somewhat shocked by the proposed budgets I've seen.  The best proposal I've received so far is $260k all-in.

I'd love to hear any thoughts from folks with experience. Do you think this project is worth it? Is there a better way to approach it?

Loading replies...