Stories about working with Greater Syracuse Land Bank?

Most Popular Reply

Chris JacksonPro Member
Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
10y

@Eric Hargitt We have closed on 3 landbanks this year.  You need to have your rehab plan legit and execute on it.  Landbank puts a lien on your property in the amount of your rehab.  Basically you have to finish your work and then inspect it after you rehab. its no joke.  But its a wonderful program.   Also I own a few apt buildings and have other SFRs in the market which helps the application process.  They really want to know that you will do good work and finish the project.  

The pros are obvious.  The cons are you need to pay cash and show proof of funds for purchase and rehab budget.  And it needs to be your POFs.  Takes a while close and the above I mentioned with the lien. 

Besides that I think its wonderful program to take vacant homes and bring them back to life for good families.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • East Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    i have never dealt with them but would be interested in the good and the bad once you find out. Good luck!

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    @Eric Hargitt

    Boy you got me stumped too. Tell me more please. Wish I could be of more help. Keep me posted!

    What they say learn something new every day. 

  • Investor, Teacher · Central New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Hey Guys,

    Stumbled upon this thread and curious as well.  I am intrigued by the fact that the Land Bank essentially creates the rehab budget by giving you a list of fixes that must be agreed upon.  

  • Chris JacksonPro Member
    Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    @Eric Hargitt We have closed on 3 landbanks this year.  You need to have your rehab plan legit and execute on it.  Landbank puts a lien on your property in the amount of your rehab.  Basically you have to finish your work and then inspect it after you rehab. its no joke.  But its a wonderful program.   Also I own a few apt buildings and have other SFRs in the market which helps the application process.  They really want to know that you will do good work and finish the project.  

    The pros are obvious.  The cons are you need to pay cash and show proof of funds for purchase and rehab budget.  And it needs to be your POFs.  Takes a while close and the above I mentioned with the lien. 

    Besides that I think its wonderful program to take vacant homes and bring them back to life for good families.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Chris Jackson Thanks for this info Chris. Is that number in your signature a good way to reach you?

  • Chris JacksonPro Member
    Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    @Eric Hargitt - yep - give me a heads up when you plan on calling.  If I dont recognize the number I usually dont pick up.  send me a message through BP PM or email me (email is on my profile)

  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    8y

    It's tough, you need a good contractor that can help you get an excellent plan going that will meet your budget and their requirements. 

  • Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Went to one of their seminars.  You have to find a "licensed electrician and/or plumber" to do the repairs.  Well I own an HVAC business and my workers are well qualified as plumbers, HVAC techs and electricians but aren't "licensed by the city" which entails union apprenticeships and the like.   Sounds like a make-work scheme for the unions in all honesty.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.