Dominic L.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
RE data?

Dominic L.
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Mar 12 2015, 17:55

Hi! 

Can anyone recommend good sources for real estate data? Right now I've been using Zillow, Trulia and Redfin, as well as Neighborhood Scout and Rentometer. Any other sites/etc you'd recommend? I'd like to get a better sense of what are the emerging RE markets (Charlotte? Minneapolis? Tulsa?), among other things. The more detailed and comprehensive the data, the better.

Thanks,

Dominic

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Prentiss
  • Investor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Mar 12 2015, 18:05

Dominic, it is a bit quirky, but I've had great luck with: 

http://www.city-data.com/

- lots of demographic data

- lots of data that would matter to your clients (either renters or owner-occupants)

User Stats

Votes
Jason Douthitt
  • Wholesaler and Landlord
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Votes |
  • Wholesaler and Landlord
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Replied Mar 12 2015, 18:21

I live in Tulsa and find myself using realtor.com. It's filtering capabilities allow slightly more detail when determining comparable values of SFRs. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Jolicoeur
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 12 2015, 21:42

I like Zilpy.com.  Like rentometer, it will estimate a good rent amount, plus it pulls in a lot of information just like neighborhood scout and city-data.  I find it to be a great site to use BEFORE I make an offer on a property to confirm the rental amounts, school districts, and neighborhood trends.  It's worth $4.95 to me.

FindCompsNow.com is another one that is promising.   I think it just uses a Zillow Zestimate rathar than calculating a new comp price with the data it has access to.  But it really helps to get some ideas of what cash buyers are paying in the area.

I also use the Zillow Zestimate and Zillow Rent Zestimates. The rent estimates are pretty good, and I feel like the Zestimates have improved over the last couple of years.

I do not think Minneapolis is emerging. I think it emerged 3-5 years ago. Its a strong rental market and many properties will cash flow, but the cap rate yield for SFH is barely 6%-7% unless you go in D areas where you inherit more headaches and will have trouble hiring good prop. managers at a distance. Appreciation however should continue at a moderate pace for years to come in most areas since the employment situation is very strong.

User Stats

Votes
Dominic L.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Mar 13 2015, 08:01

Many thanks, Wayne and Jason!

Dominic

User Stats

Votes
Dominic L.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Mar 13 2015, 08:10

... and Marc -- thanks, Marc!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Lohn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent & Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent & Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 13 2015, 12:09

@Dominic L.

http://www.padmapper.com/ is a good resource as it links to current rental ads on Craig's list, apartment finder, etc.

Lohn/Paulno Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Donohue
  • Engineer
  • Ridgewood, NJ
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Ridgewood, NJ
Replied Mar 25 2016, 04:33

Has anyone used an Excel macro to pull data from a tax assessors website based on certain search criteria? Possibly for free or a minimal fee? 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Livian
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Mar 25 2016, 14:31

Probably easier to do with a user-friendly web scraper than an Excel macro, unless you're good at Excel macros :)