Have 100+ Units Need Better Management Software!

15 Replies

Hey guys,

We just closed on two apartment complexes in the last three months and have gone from 8 units to 107 units in 9 months. All units are self managed. As you could imagine, its getting hard just to keep an excel sheet.

I tried true rent out, was OK but now we are looking for something more proficient. Something where we can input repairs, submit work orders, keep detailed logs of everything every expense. We have hired a full time repairman, and would like to keep track of requests sent, etc. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wgat wasn't true rent able to do? 

I believe the bigs ones are appfolio, buildium and yardi. 

@Zamir Kazi , you might want to take a look at the following systems: Appfolio, Propertyware, & Rentec Direct. All of them should accommodate your growing needs. Hope this helps. 

By the way, congrats on achieving such a great feat in such a short time period

@Zamir Kazi I'm using Buildium, and have zero complaints. Pretty user friendly, and easy to learn if you need to train someone who is not very familiar with the business.

Any one have any experience with Yardi?

@Zamir Kazi , the only thing I've found that will work for my business(Es) after testing more than 30 CRMs/project management software programs is...........Podio.

And, I hated Podio with a purple passion until I got so disgusted with all other software that I spent two solid days educating myself and implementing it.

There's nothing better for what you're doing if, and it's a big if, you'll take the few hours to understand it and integrate it with GlobiFlow so everything you do is automated and you get reports created so you can manage by report. 

If you have any development background, you'll love it. I hated it vehemently and now I love it because I can bend it to my will and make it do everything I want it to do. 

Zamir Kazi how did you grow so quickly are you doing syndication?
(585) 678-6857

We use buildium as well. Syndicates out all your rental listings and very easy system to implement.

@Zamir Kazi recently switched to Buildium for 55 units. Previously we used Quickbooks.

We love Buildium so far except it's not as robust for accounting as Quickbooks was.

We particularly like it for the integration of rental online apps, online maintenance requests, and online payment. It's really made our life easier having many different management functions in one place.

Best of luck! That's a lot of growth in one year.

@Zamir Kazi Dollar for dollar you best bet in your situation might be Buildium. Very robust except it isn't as functional in the accounting area as an accounting package would be. But then, an accounting program can't take care of all of your rental needs like Buildium. Decent trade-off for most people.

True regarding the operations vs accounting applications. The trifecta I use is: Venmo for paperless rent collections, web app for property management operations, Quickbooks Online for accounting. These can be linked to push transactions between them with a little time & effort.

One more solid vote for Buildium - I only manage 4 units as of writing this, however know I could manage many more no problem.  Have been using it since 2010 and am nothing but happy, great support, user friendliness, etc.

What I will tell everyone, if you want to get the full functionality out of Buildium, the setup will take a lot of time -- it's not hard, just takes some time learning the system and moving all of your data/books over, setting up online payments, vendors etc.  Once you get those items completed, your life will get exponentially easier.

@Zamir Kazi You may want to also look into Cozy.co   They're the new guys on the block and they are backed by Google. My guess is they are going to put all other PM softwares out of business in the next 4-5 years. Almost every feature is either free or severely discounted compared to other services. They only have a few features right now, but financial reporting, bill pay, maintenance requests, etc. are on the way. I am going to begin using them as soon as they offer financial reporting.

Best of luck, and congrats on the big upswing in AUM.

Originally posted by @Nick Hakim :

@Zamir Kazi You may want to also look into Cozy.co   They're the new guys on the block and they are backed by Google. My guess is they are going to put all other PM softwares out of business in the next 4-5 years. Almost every feature is either free or severely discounted compared to other services. They only have a few features right now, but financial reporting, bill pay, maintenance requests, etc. are on the way. I am going to begin using them as soon as they offer financial reporting.

Best of luck, and congrats on the big upswing in AUM.

@Nick Hakim Cozy.co looks awesome thank you for sharing!  I've been using MySmartMove for background checks, PopMoney for rent payments and a custom google forms/docs for applications.  This looks like it will nicely replace all of that.

big fan of cozy also for rent collected. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.