• Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
adding a blog for SEO purpose

Jose Martinez
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jan 18 2017, 16:53

Hello BP Fam. im starting by blog to link to my website for SEO and rankings purpose. My question is the following:

Should i blog about all things Real Estate from the Seller side?(why you should or shouldnt sell and what are your options"

Should i talk about Real Estate from the Buyer side (me and my stories as an "IN"experienced INvestor"

i would appreciate your thoughts and feedback, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jim Turner
  • Vendor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 18 2017, 17:50

If you want to blog to increase organic traffic, you need to start with keyword research to determine which keywords you want to rank for and that will determine the topic and content. You should also read up on SEO copywriting to make sure you understand the on page factors to focus on as well when writing.

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Ewen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Weehawken, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Weehawken, NJ
Replied Jan 18 2017, 22:07

@Jose Martinez

You should only blog if you have one of the following:

1) A desire to write quality content and continue to produce it in deference to your target audience.
2) Additional help (like interns) that want to do some writing and need a place to cut their teeth.

Other than that, blogging for keywords alone will end up eating up more time than it's worth, or just producing content that nobody wants to read. It's a tough occupation, and definitely not a money maker, so I would just be wary about the strategy.

If you consider that writing and proof-reading a decent article takes 3 hours, what's your time worth? It's probably worth enough money to pay for more Google AdWords, or some freelance social media people to get your word out. There are more ways to do automated marketing that require no further effort on your part (just a little bit of $). 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jose Martinez
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 19 2017, 16:58

awesome, thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. i will take it back to the lab and refine it to make it work better for me. 

@Jim Turner

@Trevor Ewen

User Stats

Votes
Doug Seabury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Vail, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Vail, CO
Replied Jan 31 2017, 06:31

In my experience, I've hired a SEO company to deal with the majority of my content writing on my blog. I can say that keeping up with a blog and running a real estate business is no easy thing and at times it can be difficult to handle both simultaneously. In the end, time is money and I would rather be spending it on my business and what I do best. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Connelly
  • Investor
  • Weston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Weston, MA
Replied Jan 31 2017, 07:01

I'd outsource.

It comes down to persistence. If you can be persistent in maintaining the blog, do it. But after 4-5 blog posts, you'll probably have second thoughts (if you haven't already).

Freelancers and SEO content writers will work under terms favorable relative to your opportunity cost for writing the blogs. Although they're the experts, you can always re-read and modify their work as needed. 

Just my two cents.

User Stats

Votes
Jose Martinez
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 1 2017, 20:58

Just an update, i have found some good Fiverr SEO/bloggers and im going to outsource there just to build content with an emphasis on SEO and have my blog looking fit. I will be adding my own blog entries but yes i will be appropriating the best use of my time, thanks for the input yall!

@Brian Connelly

@Doug Seabury

User Stats

Votes
Sean Dolan
  • Vendor
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Katy, TX
Replied Feb 4 2017, 09:24
Originally posted by @Jose Martinez:

Just an update, i have found some good Fiverr SEO/bloggers and im going to outsource there just to build content with an emphasis on SEO and have my blog looking fit. I will be adding my own blog entries but yes i will be appropriating the best use of my time, thanks for the input yall!

@Brian Connelly

@Doug Seabury

Just a word of caution. Check the articles they send you to make sure they didn't just steal them from another real estate blog. You get no SEO benefits if you have the same content as someone else. Frankly, I'd advise you to focus your time elsewhere, rather than pursuing SEO. Your going to get a lot of bad advice from people who aren't measuring it properly, and misunderstand what is and isn't working. There are much simpler ways to generate leads. 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Martinez
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 12 2017, 18:30

@Sean Dolan i agree with the overall sentiment here, and i have been hearing it alot. its wierd because im not a new investor in theory buy i am new in actual deals. but i agree with what you said, now here is the follow up question for you "There are much simpler ways to generate leads."  

if you dont mind just dropping a few bits of your own secret sauce, i would appreciate it! thanks!

fyi...my current focus right now is driving for dollars, preforclosure door knocking and craigslist, just scouring for leads and distressed properties. i have a growing list of vacants and a meeting with the TLO rep on monday, i need a good "cheaper" way to skip trace, one of these coals will be a diamond or a nugget of gold in an acre. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Dolan
  • Vendor
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Katy, TX
Replied Feb 12 2017, 20:03

@Jose Martinez so, I've been on the marketing side of this industry for years (webmastering, SEO, PPC for investing clubs and investors), and about an hour ago I went shopping for and put an offer in on my first rental property.

So anyway, the easiest way for me is Adwords, but that's what I do for a living. Direct mail and PPC are the two best sources of leads. One client is testing out 100 billboards in Houston, and they will share those results at some point. I know they tried advertising on cabs, and that didn't work. Honestly, I would look up Right Path Real Estate Education and sign up for one of their classes. They've been a client for over 3 years, I've watched them flip 300 properties, and they started with very little real estate background. Real estate gurus get a bad name, but I've watched the entire process and these guys are legit.