Any reviews of RentRedi?

40 Replies

I am considering Rent Redi. I currently have 7 rentals units ( two three unit properties, an investment condo and a garage space) Currently I accept many forms of payment including Zelle, Venmo and paper checks. I pull actual credit reports with all of the details. Does Rent Redi provide an actual report or just a credit score?

Question for the RentRedi users: do any of your tenants have trouble with the fact that everything is done through a mobile app? What about tenants that don't have smart phones or  aren't comfortable using mobile apps? 

Everything about RentRedi seems great except for the lack of a web portal and the ACH charges. 

I have tried Rentredi on a BP Promo, it is horrible.  I would not worry with wasting your time.  It is the worst.  Customer Service is horrible.  The do not know their product they just refer you back to self help articles, which did not answer my question to begin with.  They FORCE you to sign up for their merchant account even if you do not use them.  They have NOT CUSTOMIZATION in their application. You are better off just using Google Forms.  

I have been using RentRedi for 4 months now with our 9 unit apartment building. I would NOT recommend it for the following reasons:

1. No adaptability for pre-screening questions - remember that book that random bearded dude wrote on about managing rental properties. Remember that section on pre-screening and application processes/questions. Yea, RentRedi lacks the ability to even get the prior two landlords without having to use an external form.

2. Application process - see above comments

3. Notifications/Communications - If a tenant submits a maintenance request, there is no linked communication route to that request. You can send a push notification, but it does not link to the maintenance request

4. Fees - they charge your tenant quite a bit if they do not use ACH

5. Fees - oh, and did they mention they charge YOU the fees to? Yes, they do, even though they don't say so. Just got my 1099 for last year and those fees (to which we never received) were included (even the $1 ACH fee they collect). Want to appropriately write them off as expense? Good luck getting a W9 from them.

6. Lease - yep, you will need docusign or another software as well. Their "lease" signing is not actual signing, it is just a confirmation email. So, add that expense to your list as well

7. ACH and the WTF that goes with it. Your tenants can set up automatic drafts for their rent payments, but make sure they do not set them up for the due date, as they will not process. Why? Who the frank knows. Ed (owner) finally stated that it is because payments are processed the night/morning AFTER the date in which the tenant picks. HOWEVER, they do not tell anyone that, so your tenants and you will be thinking WTF happened to their automatic payments.

So, if you are not concerned about tenant screening, tenant application, lease signing, tenant payments, or being overbilled to the IRS for funds you did not receive, then RentRedi is the software for you! They even have Latchel, to which I have not used, nor will not, as I am more concerned about basic landlord responsibilities over fluffy useless third party crap-ola.

I agree that I'd look elsewhere.  This company might be a good option one day, but not now.  Their business still needs to grow up.  They have a payments 3rd party website, but it's hard to find the link from their main website.  Then they give you a random login/password for that site that you'll never remember and can't change.  They don't seem to realize that this is a financial organization.  If I have a problem with my newspaper delivery or something equally non-critical, I'd like an answer or fix  now, but if it's later today or tomorrow, not a big deal.  RentRedi is dealing with MY MONEY!  If I have a problem, I want it fixed now.  Going to their customer service call back calendar shows the 1st appointment when they will contact you by zoom is in 4 days.  4 days???    Their website has a very awkward user interface that is challenging.

When this company matures, I think it will be a very good option.  They just seem to be trying to add too much now and not doing the basics well.  

That said, if everything goes perfectly with no issues, changes, or questions, my main gripe is that it takes a week to get my money in my account.  They get an ACH from my tenant in their account same day, but won't do the same into my account.

Hi Art,  No, we've just recently closed on a beach rental and I'm about to close on another this month.  My issues with RentRedi have not risen to the level requiring immediate action.  They are functional while frustrating.  When I have some free time, I'll research other options that won't cost a fortune for the small guy.

There are only two kinds of reviews on this thread for rentredi. They are awesome or they are the worst. I'm looking to switch from cozy mostly to combine tenant screening, marketing and rent payments. Cozy is notorious in holding your rent for over a week with the free plan. Is it worth switching? Or are there other alternatives for tenant screening and marketing while I continue using cozy?

Yes, I am looking for an online platform to begin self-managing too. About to close on a 10+unit apartment building and my wife and I would like to self-manage as much as possible, as I am local. Cozy has been acquired by apartments.com, and will not let me sign up for cozy, and the functions seem limited. Currently, I am looking at Hemlame for local, I tried to use them for an out-of-state investment property, but the cost with an agent would end up far greater than a full-service property manager.

The dream option would combine all accounting, bill pay, rent collection, provide eviction services, and maintenance coordination outside of normal hours. Some help with leasing would be great!

Originally posted by @Beverly Taylor :

During the set up process for RentRedi, the software automatically sends out a message to all tenants by email. As the property manager, it concerns me that the software does not allow me to select message timing and verify content of communications that are sent directly to MY tenants.  

Therefore, do not input client email addresses in RentRedi until you are prepared for RentRedi to begin sending requests for action to YOUR tenants.  Even though I skipped the tenant input and invitation screen, the system still sent out messages after I later entered email address in the tenant data profile.

Do other property management platforms operate in autopilot? Is this a concern for other users?

Hi Beverly! I just wanted to let you know that thanks to your feedback RentRedi released an update that lets you opt-out of sending a tenant an email invite immediately. Thank you, again for this feedback!

Originally posted by @Paul Kuhn :

Yes, I am looking for an online platform to begin self-managing too. About to close on a 10+unit apartment building and my wife and I would like to self-manage as much as possible, as I am local. Cozy has been acquired by apartments.com, and will not let me sign up for cozy, and the functions seem limited. Currently, I am looking at Hemlame for local, I tried to use them for an out-of-state investment property, but the cost with an agent would end up far greater than a full-service property manager.

The dream option would combine all accounting, bill pay, rent collection, provide eviction services, and maintenance coordination outside of normal hours. Some help with leasing would be great!

Hi Paul, just curious on if you found a software that works well and you recommend !?

As with many here, I've been using a mix of Cozy (now Apartments.com), Stessa, and a few other custom workflows for turnovers that have worked well in the past, but with the takeover of Cozy by Apartments.com I'm now out shopping for better options for my primary, tenant-facing service. 

The list of property management suites at Capterra is a decent start, so long as you take their reviews with a grain of salt. 

I was drawn to RentRedi for the integration with Latchel, but after seeing an ill-prepared demo of the product this week, only to be stood up by an appointment booked with Latchel itself, I'll be taking my dollars elsewhere. While the RentRedi's loaded with various toggles/buttons and affordable given the all-you-can-eat pricing, the interface is still very elementary and lacking in usability/design, which is often overlooked as a key determinant of whether your team actually adopts and fully leverages powerful management solutions like these. RentRedi looks more like your run of the real estate management database that's been given an Apache/server front end to the web. 

A few others have called out Hemlane, who appear also quite responsive here on BP and also offer a degree of repair/work order management baked right into their middle/upper tier offerings (versus having to bolt-on as with RentRedi + Latchel). 

As a smaller, self-managed landlord I think solutions that offer that kind of scheduling/logistics framework are solving for one of the most long-standing self-managed challenges we've had for years: how to scale and systematize operations when you're are landlord or PM out there hustling for your next deal. 

Additionally, I've been spending a lot of time evaluating condo / HOA management solutions and accidentally stumbled on ManageCasa, which offers a free trial and < 3 unit free tier that has allowed me the time to get in, kick the tires, and really appreciate their attention to detail and broad feature set that adapts to each unique industry sector. In particular, the ability to auto-sync and categorize bank transactions (similar to Stessa), easily track expenses against budgets, and streamline lease creation with lease templates is quite nice. Given the sad state of affairs in HOA management software, I'll probably go with them for my HOA, with more research needed for the general PM suites.