We Buy Homes Website building

4 Replies

Hello,

I am currently in the process of building a We Buy Homes for Cash-style website. This is my first time attempting to build a website so I am taking all of the advice I can get. My partner and I have already secured a domain on GoDaddy and an email for the site however all of the website builder tutorials I have watched have been for full IDX/MLS listing real estate websites. In an effort to start a direct mail marketing campaign, we are trying to build a site where our customers can come to sell their homes to us and we can buy them with quick cash offers. This will be after we target certain groups within the area we are trying to buy and send out direct mail to their homes. We plan on doing business locally within our area and only plan on taking on 2-4 projects a year. I have noticed that quite a bit of the sites are being made through WordPress and was wondering if it was possible to be done through just GoDaddy's website builder. Also if it has to be made through WordPress it would be quite helpful if anyone could send me a place where I can get templates and resources to figure out the steps for what I'm looking for.

Thank You for the time!

@Eric McArthur as someone who spoke at Wordcamps for years, I can tell you that WordPress is the best way to go. There is a learning curve but you don't need an IT degree to set it up. The plugins and themes give you the flexibility you need to setup the site you want.

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

Hi Eric,

I think what you are looking to build is more of a lead-gen website. You will definitely be able to set it up in the GoDaddy website builder (I think they recently updated it aswell). If you have a bit more time and want more flexibility, going with WordPress is definitely a good idea. There are tons of guides out there on how to set it up and with 0 experience at all, I think you'll have your site running in a day or two. 

More importantly, in your case I would focus on the content of the website and how you plan to engage those people who actually land there. Make sure there is a clear path (and easy) for people to get in touch with you with the correct information you need to make an offer to them. 

As far as the tool you use to build your website, there are a couple important things to consider.  1 - How long will it take you to build, and 2 - Will it grow with your business?

Generally, with something like GoDaddy's website builder and a lot of those other "build-your-own-website" services, sooner or later you'll run into something you need to do that you can't with that system.  WordPress is very flexible and very popular, which means whatever you want it to do, there's probably a way to do it, and somebody else has probably already done it.  That can save you a lot of time and money over having to have things created from scratch.  And even if you did have to have a really unique need and did need to have something created from scratch, at least that's an option.  It's easy to find developers who can build something for WordPress.  But if you're using a proprietary website builder, often there isn't an option to develop custom tools.

Here's another thing to consider:  should you build it yourself?  If you're starting out with almost no budget, maybe so.  But here are 2 things to keep in mind:

1 - It will eat up a lot of time.  I've been building websites for real estate investors for over 17 years and when changes need to be made to our own website, I'm not the one that does it.  I definitely could, but it's not a good use of my time.  I need to run my business.  And how good will it look?  I'd rather hire someone to build it who does this every day and can create something that looks good, works well, and gets results.

2 - Do you have a good enough understanding of marketing to create pages that will get results?  If you're doing paid mailings and the ads send people to a page that doesn't convert, you'll waste a lot of money.  And you'll be left wondering - is the problem the messaging in the direct mail or is it my website?  In my opinion, it can be worth it to hire someone with experience in marketing and copywriting to help you set up a marketing funnel to direct people to, especially when you're doing paid marketing.