Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Fernholz
  • Brainerd, MN
Votes |
Buying into a Lake Association

Ryan Fernholz
  • Brainerd, MN
Posted Mar 25 2017, 21:12

Hi, All.

I'm looking at buying a rental lake home within a lake association purly forcrenting. The current HOA rules state that the house can not be rented fir less than 7 days. This is totally fine with me as this fits our renting strategy anyway. What I'm concerned about if the association changing the rules. According to the association president, most of the owners within the association rent their cabins to friends and family only and frown upon "outsiders". I would be marketing to VRBO clients. The house I'm buying within the association is the largest house of the group and it is set up perfectly for renting to large families. It would take much remodeling to be a single family house if I ever wanted to resell it for that purpose. I'm afraid the association will want to change the rental policy to either limit to a 30 day minimum rental policy, or none at all. I am willing to take the risk as they would only be hurting themselves since they all rent weekly to their friends and family.....and the cash flow is juicy. Anybody have any experience when buying into an association and trying to rent to VRBO clients? The association is mostly older folks and try like their piece and quiet. I'd really hate to buy this thing and have them change their rental rules. I'd be screwed. One drink uncle being loud around the campfire might set them off I fear. Or, I take the risk and reap the rewards as long as I can. Thoughts?