Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Preston Newman
Votes |
Mold and harassment for landlord

Preston Newman
Posted Jul 12 2019, 22:45

Hello everyone. Any help with our issues would be greatly appreciated as this issue has greatly stressed me and my wife. 

In March I got blood results back indicating higher than normal mold levels in my blood.

On April 5th visible mold was found in our apartment. Property manager and owner were contacted and notified of the mold. They told me and my wife that starting April 5th we would be reimburses our daily pro rated rent of $76 a day until the issue was fixed. This not being nearly enough to cover hotel in our area so we moved out of the bedroom with mold and slept on the floor in second bedroom to avoid further exposure and kept that room closed which we also explained to the owner. Mold testing was done to confirm mold in multiple areas and was scheduled to be remediate in May after some convincing to the owner. So for a month we slept on the floor in other room and could not fully use our apartment. 

April 30th we sent an email confirming that since they told us we would be reimbursed from April 5th until repairs are completed that we would be deducting April 5-April 30th pro rated rate amount from May rent which would equal to us paying $306 on May 1st and any deduction for May would be deducted on June rent. No response back and check for $306 was dropped off.

May 10th in the middle of mold remediation. Apartment sealed and owner knows we are in an hotel they decide to post a “3 Day Pay or Quit” on apartment door of our vacant unit. They requested full rent for May.  All of this with zero communication. Luckily my wife had one check on her. We paid full rent for May and eventually first check was mailed back to us after multiple requests to be informed on what is happening. It took over a week of emails to get any answers but eventually the owner then sent us a check to reimburse us for part of May rent which equaled to us paying $306 for May.  They continued to delay work and harass until finally we realized there is no way we can live in the complex and gave a 30 day notice and moved. 

Landlord continued to refuse to reimburse us for the time from April 5- May 5th since we slept on the floor in the other room. She would also not discuss why she changed her word and failed to communicate to us but instead hire a lawyer to try to get us out. 

Landlord has history and trying to bully people and take advantage of tenants. We have moved and feel we are owed the money from April to May as we should be paying rent for a until we can’t fully use without it affecting our health. We are planning to take them to small claims court to collect the rent we tried to deduct and also for harassment against us. Any suggestions of how we should move forward? How abnormal is it for a landlord to act in this manner? To us everything felt extremely dishonest and sneaky when we tried to communicate clearly the entire time until they went silent and changed the approach.

Loading replies...