Difficult to sell or rent property accross cemetery?

Most Popular Reply

Kenosha, WI · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 81 votes
7y

Well, someone has to say it - people are just dying to get into that neighborhood!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    7y

    @Chuck Klinger

    Depends entirely on the person.

    My brother sold his home in Knoxville with a old grave in the backyard. If that can sell, anything can sell, given the right market.

  • Hunlock Creek, PA · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    I live across the road from a cemetery. It’s always quite.  

  • Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 77 votes
    7y

    Interesting question I have also struggled with when looking for properties to flip.  I have stayed away from properties on active railroad tracks, or a cemetery, or other a lake house with 150 stairs to get to the water, or other items that will make a segment of the market say "no, thanks" as soon as they walk up.  It would seem you would at least need to factor some discount into your numbers to offset the risk.

    I recognize this may be my own inexperience but I do try to avoid things that alienate a portion of my potential buyers.  I could be missing out on the potential AirBnB haunted house market.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Ken Dillard

    I think you're a genius...the stuff you're avoiding is the stuff that kills property appreciation.  That "inexperience" is really good instincts.  Rock on!

  • Kenosha, WI · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    Well, someone has to say it - people are just dying to get into that neighborhood!

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    When I was looking at lots to build a house on, I passed on a beautiful corner lot just because there was an old cemetery on the lot at the edge of the street.  I had an old iron fence around it and I was told that relatives lived nearby and they came a few times a year and placed flowers on the graves and they weeded it.  They had a gate entrance from the street.  They had deeded access and maintenance.

    Yeah, but I did not want that task when the relatives moved on...and I was concerned that no on would buy the house when I wanted to move on with that cemetery there.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chuck Klinger:

    Is usually hard to rent or sell a property accross the street from a cemetary?

     Who doesn't like quiet neighbors?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 94 votes
    6y

    I wouldn’t think being near a cemetery is a deal breaker. What’s the worst that can happen you get a few mourners in the graveyard to morn their lost love ones? They would be a quiet neighbor, never get a noise complaint or the cops call on by them, I fail to see the issue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 94 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ken Dillard:

    Interesting question I have also struggled with when looking for properties to flip.  I have stayed away from properties on active railroad tracks, or a cemetery, or other a lake house with 150 stairs to get to the water, or other items that will make a segment of the market say "no, thanks" as soon as they walk up.  It would seem you would at least need to factor some discount into your numbers to offset the risk.

    I recognize this may be my own inexperience but I do try to avoid things that alienate a portion of my potential buyers.  I could be missing out on the potential AirBnB haunted house market.

    Active railroad I can agree with, but a lake front property that is only 150 stairs away? People drive miles around to get to the waterfront a few steps isn't, at least for me,a deal breaker

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.