Cabinet recommendation for middle end rental

30 Replies

1,400 sqft, 3/2, $1,500 rent - Replace kitchen cabinets and countertop

My first quote on cabinets came in at $4,800 (just materials).  Believe the manufacturer was Omega and the quality is pretty good, maple with self closing doors.

I'm looking to keep the cabinets under $4k and these seemed expensive.  Can anyone recommend a product for this type of rental?  Planning on going with a lower end granite. 

Thanks,

-Charlie

Not sure if having them off the shelf is required, but uou should be able to get a normal size kitchen quite a bit cheaper. My Kitchens for flips ($200-325k in CT) have run $2600-3700 for cabinet material. It takes a couple weeks to get, which may hurt for a rental, but these all had 36" uppers (not 30" that most quote/use), light rails, crown, islands, soft close doors and drawers, etc. I used two kitchen cabinet suppliers back in CT and got JSI brand through them. I was satisfied with the cabinets.

The price may be fair, impossible to say without seeing the list or layout.

"Cabinets to go" has some great options and so does IKEA! They have designer cabinets on a budget, a lot of high end homes here use IKEA cabinets! 

I've used Seconds and Surplus but I'm not sure you have a store up there. They have standard sizes and you can order custom sizes and colors that are not much more expensive than the cabinets in stock.

Originally posted by @Charlie Hyatt :

@Jerryll Noorden my contractor did recommend RTA as a cheaper option.  Do you just buy them right online?

You know, that word "cheaper" has the wrong "feeling" here. Cheaper in price yes, not cheap as in quality.

These cabinets are soft close, actual plywood.

The one in the picture is the vanilla signature. Every person that walked into the house was floored by the kitchen.

Yes definitely get them.

You can get then pre-assembled or ready to assemble. They are  really easy to assemble... if you want them a little bit cheaper.

Yes order them online and they will ship them to your door!

Originally posted by @Jonathan Mueller :

@Jerryll Noorden Have you used IKEA cabinets before? 

Very fair question.

Before I answer this I will have you note that I said 

"I" as in me, would not touch, their cabinets. I am not saying "you all" should not touch them.

Now to answer your question, No I haven't bought them, but I have looked at them, felt them and evaluated them in the store.

I have also bought many of their furniture.

This is my evaluation on the stuff I DID buy from them. If you're a college student and you need some stuff that is functional, sure, get that bunk bed. For quality long lasting stuff, they are just not the choice (for me).

And then an other very (more) important point I want to make.

If you are doing a flip, you will have a significant % of your buyers be turned off by IKEA cabinets. It is irrelevant if they are good or bad. You want to put stuff in your flip that the majority of the people actually want.

Example.

One thing I hate almost as much as wholesaling...  Subway tile.

HOW ANYONE LIKES THAT IS BEYOND ME.

Especially with dark grout. What the EF are you friggin on?!?!

BUT... t is what sells right now, so I had to bite the bullet and get friggin subway tile...

and the house sold... no matter if I like that ugly crap or not...

And that is why.. "I wouldn't touch IKEA cabinets"

Did you try Bargain Outlet in East Hartford CT?  It's about 20 min from you.

I use the RTA store and pay a little extra to have them delivered assembled. Last kitchen I did was about 12ft of lowers and 8 ft of uppers and it was around $2500. I was honestly surprised by the quality. They have an unimpressive show room about 1.5 hours from you in Hopewell Junction NY, design service is included and pretty decent.

I have used both IKEA kitchens and RTA cabinets. I have used IKEA kitchen cabinets shaker style soft clothes etc. I symbol them and install them myself. On my recent flip I found RTA cabinets assembled and delivered for the same price as IKEA cabinets plus it save me the time of assembly. If you can find a good RTA supplier I would go with that. My recent RTA supplier cabinets were made of plywood sides and back and a solid wood front. On a 10 x 10 kitchen with 40 inch uppers, I paid about 2200 for cabinets. Then I just installed them myself. Even having a contractor or handyman install them is not difficult and is relatively inexpensive

Originally posted by @Charlie Hyatt :

1,400 sqft, 3/2, $1,500 rent - Replace kitchen cabinets and countertop

My first quote on cabinets came in at $4,800 (just materials).  Believe the manufacturer was Omega and the quality is pretty good, maple with self closing doors.

I'm looking to keep the cabinets under $4k and these seemed expensive.  Can anyone recommend a product for this type of rental?  Planning on going with a lower end granite. 

Thanks,

-Charli

Check out kitchen kompact, real wood, no particleboard, some I'd the best build , decent looking low end cabinets. What we use in most of our rehabs under 200k

Should be able to get kitchen for 1500-1800

(330) 432-6927

Frankly after years of doing this, buying cabinets is a huge waste, unless it’s a high end location. Just paint them and install new hardware. If your missing a faceplate, buy a new one, or rip them off and cut some MDF using the old face plates as a template, that you get at Lowe’s of HD. You will be about of $50-200 said and done, or $500 if you hire a contractor.

@Jerryll Noorden great looking kitchen!

On Ikea I agree with @Jonathan Mueller

Everyone has personal taste, sure can’t tell someone else what to like.  

Not sure about backing the statement that a significant number of buyers would be turned off.  I’m sure you know your buyers, still though...unless you have first hand experience  with a number of buyers telling you directly that they would like a discount for Ikea cabs it’s just an opinion. 

I’ve sold a number of houses with Ikea kichens.  Buyers had a lot of issues but never heard that cabinet Names were a problem.  Quality yes.  Of course.  

On saying the saying that the quality is low...like the cheap furniture.  that is not the case. I like to compare apples to apples.  It’s impossible to got to a cabinet showroom and compare that product to Ikea cabs in the store.  Does the cab shop have a few million visitors a year? 

When your see Ikea cabs in the store you can be sure those cabinets are the most touched in the world.  

Updated 2 months ago

Excuse the typos...

Are the old cabinets salvageable?

I took the old cabinets from my rental and just had them relaminated. You can relaminate them in any color you want (or texture) and they turned out great. Altogether, I got new doors and hardware on the cabinets and laminated the existing ones for $1,700 with labor.

I've installed a number of different RTA cabs, but my most recent was Fabuwood, and they are very impressive for the price. All plywood carcasses, not particle board like Ikea, and all soft close, all dovetailed drawers. IIRC it was $2000 pre-assembled and delivered for 13' of cabs plus a 12" over the fridge.

@Johann Jells Looks like fabuwood distributes through local dealers, did you just fill out the contact sheet on their website?
Originally posted by @Nathan Kerxhalli :
@Johann Jells Looks like fabuwood distributes through local dealers, did you just fill out the contact sheet on their website?

Yes, it turned out that my favorite locally owned home center had them.  I'm back home so I can upload a pic. Note how the sideboard is dovetailed into the faceframe, and the corner brackets are wood not plastic.

@John Hickey , why would you say ply is not superior? Have you never seen particle board cabs destroyed by water? Or did you actually mean MDF carcasses? I've never seen that, just MDF doors. And I've seen them destroyed by water.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.