Waterproofing basement question

3 Replies

My wife and I have a multi family we purchased about 8 months ago. About two weeks ago we had a really heavy rain and wound up with water in the basement through various intrusions. The basement is unfinished and used for storage. One issue appears to be weeping concrete blocks in the foundation, the other is water flowing through cracks in the blocks in a crawl space at the front of the house. Had a contractor come in and quote me $6800 for French drains and two sump pumps. Have a few other contractors coming in to take a look as well. 

I don’t want to direct the water away once it’s in, I want to keep it from getting in. In doing some internet research I came across a company called Radon Seal. They appear to have various products for waterproofing various surfaces. Has anyone ever used this product to waterproof a basement and how is it holding up today?

I just waterproofed a basement in January. Cost me about 10 grand but they measure by the linear foot so it obviously depends on the size of the basement. Two sump pumps seems standard. On the outside of the home you want to make sure gutters are working properly and any soil is graded away from the home to not allow water in. The french drain system works really well. I went from a wet basement to one that has been bone dry so far. It's part of a major rehab I am doing and writing about in another thread. Don't cheap out on something like this. Get it done right and done once. 

first steps should be to divert water away from the house before it seeps into the ground. gutters, downspouts, and grading will go a long way.

Do you have adequate projection on your eaves - 2’

Do you have proper drainage 3/4 crush works best or create a ditch away from the property to collect ground water etc

Cracked foundation you could try aqua plug depending on the cracks etc

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.