Opportunity Zones and Funds

2 Replies

I have 3 adjacent properties in the Los Angeles that are going to be in an Opportunity Zone.

One thing I cant find is how to go about finding funding from Opportunity Funds if I want to re-develop the land. Is this something the developer would look into? Or should I see how much money we would be able to raise from these funds before looking to construct a building?

@Etan Frankel although the government has a hard deadline of April 20th, 2018 to establish designated opportunity zones nation-wide, the investments wont happen for a short period afterwards while the IRS works on designating qualifications for the certification of an Opportunity Zone Fund.

As soon as the certifications have been designated and the flood gates for applications are opened, i am sure you will begin to see many Opportunity Fund's pop up that would be eager to participate in the investment. In preparation for that moment I would recommend evaluating/analyzing the investment to better understand what is required.

I believe that Opportunity Funds will present a rather large incentive to those wishing to "cash out" on their investments by selling their assets and exchanging their proceeds into a qualified opportunity fund. Why wouldn't you want to defer, reduce or entirely eliminate any unrealized capital gains tax?

for anyone unfamiliar with Opportunity Zones and their part in the new tax plan, read this.

We are just beginning to see the very first QOF’s form, however there are not many yet. The U.S. Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service are working on QOF guidelines and regulations. As of now, we understand that the IRS is allowing self-certification of Qualified Opportunity Funds. To self-certify, a taxpayer merely completes a form (which will be released in the summer of 2018), and attaches that form to the taxpayer’s federal income tax return for the taxable year. Consequently, no approval or action by the IRS is required to certify a taxpayer. The IRS also says it will provide more details and additional legal guidance over the next few months.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here