How to remedy a smelly house

7 Replies

Good evening all, it’s my first time to Bigger Pockets forum. After 2 books and many Podcasts, I bought my first flip property. Shortly after clearing the hoarders things, we found animals(raccoons most likely) were living in the attic. I removed all sheetrock in the ceilings and all old insulation and bleached and cleaned, but after putting up new sheetrock, finishing, and priming and painting, the smell still remains upstairs. I removed all flooring but I think the smell is in the subfloor. Any ideas on what to use to remedy the smell? Any advice would be appreciated! 

Kilz oil-based or its equivalent paint is the way. Anything the animal pooped, peed, or sprayed on needs to be sealed in with an oil-based primer.

I speak from experience. Bought a house where the owner had smoked for a decade. He had two dogs that pooped and peed throughout the house. We tore out the carpet, the flooring and gutted the bathroom, painting every exposed surface with oil-based primer. 

Once the oil smell fades, there is no detectable odor. Hard work, but gets the job done when nothing else will. Best of luck!

Thank you so much Jody for your response! I will give your recommendation a try and update when I’m done. Thank you again for your response, have a great day!

So to follow up, I own an ozone machine and it wouldn’t touch the smell of raccoons living in the attic for years. I removes all the sheetrock in the ceiling and bleached, bleached, used Nature’s Miracle, and oil base primed(using low odor killz) and the problem is fixed! I have had floors put in and everything is up to snuff!👃Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

try using an enzyme cleaner (like for skunk sprays) to clean the subfloor thoroughly and then seal the subfloor with Zinner bin shellac.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you