What books do you recommend outside real estate investing?

52 Replies

I love reading. I try and balance my reading among different topics so I don't get bored. 

I typically read business related books, personal growth books, and fictional stories. 

But what books do you recommend that aren't about real estate investing but have helped you in your investing career?

I have a list I will share once some others share

The Impact Theory podcast with Tom Bilyeu is excellent.

Awaken The Giant With"in, Tony Robbins.

How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie

The Millionaire Next Door

The Richest Man in Babylon

Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less

Never Split the Difference

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

The Miracle Morning

The last book I read that helped me in investing was "It's Not About The Bike" last year. Reading books by discredited cheats and con artists in their heyday is very useful, because people still lie in the same ways.

@Alex Z. Anything by Tony Robbins (I'm a skeptical guy by nature but even I am a believer! Tony Robbins is amazing). 

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahnemen

Black Swan by Nassim Taleb

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle

Originally posted by @Omar Khan :

@Alex Z. Anything by Tony Robbins (I'm a skeptical guy by nature but even I am a believer! Tony Robbins is amazing). 

Rich dad poor dad   ( just kidding)

Gino Wickmens books bring value.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Omar Khan:

You really know how to pull my leg ;)

Gino Wickman's books are solid... Great recommendation.

My wife was a trainer for Floyd ( Gino's Dad) who was a pioneer  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

Man! Do you know EVERYONE? Every single time I'm astounded by your level of experience, intellect and knowledge. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

Man! Do you know EVERYONE? Every single time I'm astounded by your level of experience, intellect and knowledge. 

I am just OLD  nothing more nothing less.. its been my life for 45 years and my wife s as well.. plus I am very open minded to all manner of real estate.. kind of whatever is hot at the time.. like in the middle 90s when timber in the northwest was MOLTEN hot.. had to get into it.  You talk about serious wealth building OH man.. but you wont get 97% of Bpers to do it.. because it does not cash flow 100 a door LOL. 

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari is a great read that comes widely recommended by top performers. It is consistently mentioned by interviewees on the Tim Ferriss Podcast. 

If you are interested in taking a more holistic approach to personal development, I would suggest Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach or The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. Both have had a profound impact on how I approach myself, how I treat others, and have just made me a generally happier person on a daily basis.

For fiction, I love The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. I also really enjoy the combination of 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Individually, they are both great books, but when read together, they're truly something special. 

If you decide to read any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts! And if you want more, feel free to let me know. These are just some of my favorites. Enjoy! 

A Song of Ice and Fire series - GRRM, super intricate and full of twists but it is a commitment.

E-Myth Revisited -Gerber

On the Road - Kerouac

Richest Man in Babylon - Clason

Leadership and Self Deception - Arbinger Institute

Treasure Island - Stevenson

I really like Grant Cardone’s books I’ve read 

Sell or be sold 

Be obsessed or be average 

Sure he’s a bit over the top but like he says we’re all selling something whether we choose to realize or accept it or not. 

Antifragile Scaling Up (this book had a big impact on my non-real estate business) Americana: a four hundred year history of American capitalism E Myth Revisited (although I would skip or skim the first third of the book) The Knack: how street smart entrpreneurs learn to handle whatever comes up Other random selections: Health The Good Gut (interesting look at our gut microbiota and how it impacts our overall health by two Stanford immunologists) Becoming A Supple Leopard or Deskbound (both by Starret) Inspirational The Bible Unbroken

@Alex Z. - i'll give another vote for Essentialism

Success in any pursuit is determined by focus. Focus is enabled by how often you say 'no' to projects/partners that don't align with your goals. 

Essentialism quite literally provides you multiple ways in how to 'say no.' That's pretty darn helpful!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you