Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Clarke
  • Developer
  • TX - Dallas TX - San Pablo, Philippines
Votes |
Zacona Eco-Resort Investment in the Philippines

Jeffrey Clarke
  • Developer
  • TX - Dallas TX - San Pablo, Philippines
Posted Dec 18 2018, 06:58

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) commercial investment investment.

Bought in 2015 - Zacona is an Eco-Resort with adjacent land for development and expansion. We rebranded, created website, listed on booking sites and have been profitable every year. Our plans are to expand the brand throughout the Philippines.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I have been selling condotels in the Philippines for the last 16 years and felt it was time to start building my own brand, especially since it has been upgraded to investment status and is an emerging market.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I negotiated for over a year, visited it twice and finally made a deal with the seller that lives in CA.

How did you finance this deal?

We did owner financing and had a MOA drawn up.

How did you add value to the deal?

The first thing we did was renovate the rooms with Western style amenities, added a new gate and enclosed the property with a new wall. We also created a brand and internet presence.

What was the outcome?

We increased the bookings and event revenue tremendously and have had a positive NOI every year and continue to grow each year. We have plans to add more rooms and am looking for new Equity Investors.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Yes, many lessons learned dealing with permitting and having reserves to deal with issues - such as we found termite damage in one building and had to deal with that, plus some water issues that we ended up digging our own well and bypassing municipal water supply which was very costly, especially with two pools.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

We have developed a great team of local lawyers and are very active with community leadership.