Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chance Stem
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maryland
Votes |
Knoxville TN a good place for the BRRRR Method?

Chance Stem
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maryland
Posted Sep 22 2022, 05:20

Hello everyone, 

Maryland Resident and Realtor, but I am looking to do Out of state LTR's. Seeing if Knoxville TN is an ideal location for BRRRR method? I would love to get some opinions on this, and potentially try to get a team together.. New to being a real estate investor, but I help investors here in MD as a Realtor.

Looking forward to the advice, feedback, opinions, and connections.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Sep 22 2022, 11:17

@Chance Stem   

As a realtor you know that you can be successful almost anywhere if you have a strong team on the ground and access to sufficient information to make good decisions. We have originated loans in Kentucky and in less attractive places then Knoxville. We have found that it is neighborhood by neighborhood almost anywhere you go. That makes a strong realtor with experience in the investment space a necessity. I believe that the key to to success in the fix and hold space is purchasing below market value. That really requires a real estate professional who knows how to find good deals not just send you a link for the MLS. That person must also be able to give you an accurate after repair value!

Most good deals are off market! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Zechariah Gawthrop
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Replied Sep 23 2022, 11:25

Yes absolutely! Tennessee as a whole has many opportunities in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville. I believe you can find a brrrr off-market and hi value in the cities and surrounding territories. 

Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Allen
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 23 2022, 12:11

Absolutely! I've done several BRRRR's in Knoxville and I think it's a great market for real estate investing. With that said, the BRRRR Method is getting harder and harder to make work on the back end especially with mortgage rates spiking and prices softening.

User Stats

Votes
Zechariah Gawthrop
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Replied Sep 23 2022, 14:09

Hey James! I see your live in CA and I just moved from there. What made you want to invest in Knoxville vs Nashville or another state? Also what part of Knoxville have you been buying in? 

User Stats

Votes
James Allen
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 23 2022, 15:17

Hey @Zechariah Gawthrop! There's quite a few reasons but in short it was a great market for a combination of cash flow and appreciation. Nashville wasn't giving enough cash flow for what I was looking for. I saw the upside with what was going on in Knoxville with all the fundamentals and redevelopments taking place and saw the cash flow numbers still worked to where I like them all while being in a landlord friendly state. So far I've been mainly focused on North and South Knoxville areas and recently expanded out into the Maryville area. 

User Stats

Votes
Zechariah Gawthrop
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville
Replied Sep 23 2022, 15:27

@James Allen Awesome! My family and I actually bought in Maryville because of the great school district and property values. It's a beautiful town and state. I would like to connect more with you in the future!

User Stats

Votes
Chance Stem
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maryland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maryland
Replied Sep 26 2022, 10:46

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I am going to start doing alot more research for the Knoxville TN and Surrounding area.. I will be working on gathering a team together in the very near future.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Austin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga & Nashville
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga & Nashville
Replied Oct 18 2022, 07:25

@James Allen, Chattanooga is a great renters market as it has positioned itself as a startup and work from home hub in close proximity to larger markets like Nashville and Atlanta. I have had great success finding some BRRR opportunities in parts of town that are just waking up and starting to turn over with large development plans nearby and overall population growth. I actually have one I am selling right now. Our family firm has been based out of Chattanooga for over 30 years. We also have a satelite office in Nashvlle, where I lived for 4 years and still invest and help clients there. Would love to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Corey Martin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Oct 21 2022, 09:12

@Andrew Austin I would also love to connect to discuss those Chattanooga properties and your experience in both Nashville and Chattanooga!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 22 2022, 09:31

You want to make sure your ARV's can sustain what rents are. A good BRRRR market has low ARV's and high rents