Roselin G.
  • Tulsa
Votes |
Seasoning requirements/personal loan

Roselin G.
  • Tulsa
Posted Mar 21 2023, 09:47

Hello investors!

I have a property that I will be privately funding and then planning to cash out refi. 

With the changes to seasoning requirements by fannie mae, I’m wondering how this affects this process.

Any wisdom you can share or anyone who has done this before with using private money/personal loan and then paying back?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Mar 21 2023, 10:13

@Roselin G.

DSCR / non QM look for 3-6 months of ownership

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 21 2023, 16:21
Quote from @Roselin G.:

Hello investors!

I have a property that I will be privately funding and then planning to cash out refi. 

With the changes to seasoning requirements by fannie mae, I’m wondering how this affects this process.

Any wisdom you can share or anyone who has done this before with using private money/personal loan and then paying back?

@Roselin G.

There are options so you would need to map those out with your loan office BEFORE you purchase. We do it every day so it can be done with non conventional products/bridge loans etc. but you just have to have your plan in place.

And keep in mind these new Fannie/Freddie seasoning requirements ONLY apply to cash out loans. In other words, you can still use the improved value to refi what is owed with no cash back. 

So,  what we do is a double close essentially. We do a cash out loan for you on a bridge loan with no pre-payment penalty pulling out the cash, them immediately refi that new loan amount as a rate/term into a conventional loan for the lower rate/no pre-payment penalty conventional loan. So, again, it just takes a good LO, and a plan.

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Mar 21 2023, 16:38
Quote from @Roselin G.:

Hello investors!

You can do a delayed finance, which you could take out the purchase price + rehab, but no cash out. 

If it is an investment property, a DSCR with no prepay and 90 days seasoning could work out. If rates do drop significantly in the next 12 month you can rate and term refinance into a conventional loan. Or if rates remain high/or creep up more, you have a peace of mind being on a 30 year term at a fixed rate

But what's the goal here? Do you have another property lined up already? Do you plan on paying down the mortgage on this property? Lots of variables here

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 21 2023, 16:55

DSCR requires six months seasoning.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Bekeza
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 21 2023, 20:35

@Roselin G. Regardless of Fannie/Freddie's changes there are DSCR based options that will go up to 75% of the new appraised value as early as 90 days on a BRRRR cash out refi. These loans are not backed by Fannie/Freddie and don't have to adhere to those guidelines. (there is no universal rule that DSCR lenders need 6 months seasoning @Eliott Elias

User Stats

Votes
Simmy Ahluwalia
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 06:34

Yes, if you are purchasing in cash, you can Refi right away. Typically 70-75% of your total cost. DSCR has a 3-month seasoning, but you can start the process in month 2.