Anyone still closing BRRRRs with less than 20% in?

Anyone still closing BRRRRs with less than 20% in?

Lender · Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 16 votes

Curious what people are seeing in terms of leverage on BRRRR acquisitions — especially when using short-term funds before a DSCR refi. Has anyone successfully acquired, rehabbed, and refi'd a deal with less than 20% of their own cash in? Not trying to over-leverage, just exploring what's still realistic in 2025.

4Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Sasha MohammedPro Member
Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2018 · 337 posts · 245 votes
1y

Mortgage broker here, I to do a ton of these loans. 10% down for rehab is totally do-able for acquisition, PLUS lender will lend up to 100% of reno. The reno part is in the form of a draw, so you would need some liquidity to get the project started, but yes, sub-20% initial capital investment is do-able. Most will cash-out refi to 75% of the new value once the project is done using DSCR lending and often can pull out their initial investment as well.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sasha MohammedPro Member
    Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2018 · 337 posts · 245 votes
    1y

    Mortgage broker here, I to do a ton of these loans. 10% down for rehab is totally do-able for acquisition, PLUS lender will lend up to 100% of reno. The reno part is in the form of a draw, so you would need some liquidity to get the project started, but yes, sub-20% initial capital investment is do-able. Most will cash-out refi to 75% of the new value once the project is done using DSCR lending and often can pull out their initial investment as well.

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Lender here, we can finance only 10% cash in for an experienced investor. Let me know if you would like to talk.

    • Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 16 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joe Rutter:

      Lender here, we can finance only 10% cash in for an experienced investor. Let me know if you would like to talk.


       Hi do you service Ny?

    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Elijah Berg:
      Quote from @Joe Rutter:

      Lender here, we can finance only 10% cash in for an experienced investor. Let me know if you would like to talk.


       Hi do you service Ny?

      Yes we service non-owner occupied only in NY. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    It's doable. Can be hard but I see it in my market. 

  • Lender · San Diego · Member since 2025 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    10% down with 100% reno financing is most likely for investor who has exited 10 successful flips in the past 5 years. Give or take. 


    First time flippers get no where near that from my lending experience. 

  • John O'LearyPro Member
    Lender · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2021 · 737 posts · 412 votes
    1y

    @Kyle O'Brien I still come across these regularly in more affordable markets. I've seen plenty of successful BRRRR deals where investors are able to pull all their capital back out—particularly in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Alabama, and even certain pockets of North Carolina.

    • Property Manager · Bridgeport WV · Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 17 votes
      1y
      Quote from @John O'Leary:

      @Kyle O'Brien I still come across these regularly in more affordable markets. I've seen plenty of successful BRRRR deals where investors are able to pull all their capital back out—particularly in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Alabama, and even certain pockets of North Carolina.


      I am in West Virginia, and we are cash flowing here. The equity growth is not as fast, depending on the market, of course. I manage several properties for others and also invest myself. I have used a local bank that will finance 100% of the purchase if you buy it at 80% LTV. Their appraisal process is very basic, and they primarily care if it will cash flow.

    • Rental Property Investor · Italy · Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @JonPaul Kessinger:
      Quote from @John O'Leary:

      @Kyle O'Brien I still come across these regularly in more affordable markets. I've seen plenty of successful BRRRR deals where investors are able to pull all their capital back out—particularly in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Alabama, and even certain pockets of North Carolina.


      I am in West Virginia, and we are cash flowing here. The equity growth is not as fast, depending on the market, of course. I manage several properties for others and also invest myself. I have used a local bank that will finance 100% of the purchase if you buy it at 80% LTV. Their appraisal process is very basic, and they primarily care if it will cash flow.


       Does this bank also lend 100% for foreigners? 

    • Property Manager · Bridgeport WV · Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 17 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Omar Ciam:
      Quote from @JonPaul Kessinger:
      Quote from @John O'Leary:

      @Kyle O'Brien I still come across these regularly in more affordable markets. I've seen plenty of successful BRRRR deals where investors are able to pull all their capital back out—particularly in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Alabama, and even certain pockets of North Carolina.


      I am in West Virginia, and we are cash flowing here. The equity growth is not as fast, depending on the market, of course. I manage several properties for others and also invest myself. I have used a local bank that will finance 100% of the purchase if you buy it at 80% LTV. Their appraisal process is very basic, and they primarily care if it will cash flow.


       Does this bank also lend 100% for foreigners? 

       That I am unsure of, they are a small local bank, they may, on a case by case basis, depending on the deal and your proof of income ect.

  • Greg ParkerBusiness Member
    Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 663 posts · 536 votes
    1y

    We can hit those numbers on maybe 1 out of 5.  But usually we have to leave a little money in the deal.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/markets?market=Montgomery%2C%2...

    MGM Property Pros LLC
    View Page
  • Investor · TX · Member since 2021 · 53 posts · 59 votes
    1y

    Most hard money lenders are only going to be 10% out of pocket if the deal is right. still very realistic in 2025. but it comes down to the deal. they usually care more about the LTV of the ARV vs purchase price and down payment

  • Lakewood NJ · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    Im in NJ I've closed a bunch of houses that I brrr between this year and last year dont really cash flow dscr is about 1-1.1 so the rates are higher

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 649 votes
    1y

    If you are buying on market, using financing, even if you can get 90/100, you will be in for 20%+ after all costs.  There's all kinds of hidden/unforeseen costs during the process.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    It is possible but you need to buy at the right price and specifically in a competitive market like CA. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.