BRRRR in Birmingham

BRRRR in Birmingham

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 43 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets! 

I will make this short and sweet - I'm a new investor out of New York looking to BRRRR in the Magic City, Birmingham, Alabama. In terms of my price range I'm not looking to go more than $75k all in on the purchase and rehab. I've recently learned about the BRRRR strategy and am excited to implement it.

Is there anyone out there who has successfully BRRRR'd in Bham? What has your experience been, what type of financing did you use, what neighborhoods are good to target, etc..?

2Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Whitney HuttenPro Member
Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Chris John I imagine your standard risks of dealing with a wholesaler apply. 

1. Are they a realtor?  Most aren't, so they are not beholden to the same fiduciary standards.

2. Keep all of your contingencies if you can.  Make sure you can inspect. 

3. Many wholesalers want cash closes. If this is the case, see if you can use HML or PML to maintain your velocity of money and close like cash. Also, until you are really familiar with an area, I would get an appraisal even it comes out of pocket.

4. Check into how they are closing.  Are they double-closing or will they take possession and then close with you.  I'd look to make sure the first closing went smooth and that the title will transfer to you free and and clear.

These are just a few tips... just make sure you are advocating for yourself!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    Hey Pope! Have you purchased a property yet? I just closed on 2 properties (Pleasant Grove & Grayson Valley) that I will be rehabbing soon and putting up for rent. I will make sure and let you know how those go. How is your search coming along?

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @Pope Lake

    Thanks for asking this question!  haha.  I'll be following along as I'm trying to build relationships in Birmingham for the same thing.

    @David Chappell

    Do you mind me asking how you sourced your properties?

    Thank you, gentlemen.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    Hi Chris, I purchased both through a wholesaler that I made a connection with online. Mark byer at signal property Management is managing it for me.

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @David Chappell

    Awesome.  Thank you for the response.  Any issues with dealing with a wholesaler out of area?  The thought makes me a bit nervous.  

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Chris John I imagine your standard risks of dealing with a wholesaler apply. 

    1. Are they a realtor?  Most aren't, so they are not beholden to the same fiduciary standards.

    2. Keep all of your contingencies if you can.  Make sure you can inspect. 

    3. Many wholesalers want cash closes. If this is the case, see if you can use HML or PML to maintain your velocity of money and close like cash. Also, until you are really familiar with an area, I would get an appraisal even it comes out of pocket.

    4. Check into how they are closing.  Are they double-closing or will they take possession and then close with you.  I'd look to make sure the first closing went smooth and that the title will transfer to you free and and clear.

    These are just a few tips... just make sure you are advocating for yourself!

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Hutten

    Awesome.  Thank you for the tips.  I'm gonna go listen to episode #340! haha

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    @Chris John initially I was a little worried but I was much more comfortable after the first purchase. Also, if you find a property manager that can stop by and take a quick look at the properties, that helps a ton. I bought my second one site unseen after I got someone to check it out for me and had the contractor visit too to writeup an estimate on rehab costs.

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @David Chappell

    Awesome.  Seems doable, but scary.  I'll have to get my loan situation squared away and reach out to the property manager I was talking to to see what if that's a service he provides.  If not, looks like I'll keep shopping.

    Thank you!

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Hutten

    Fabulous podcast!  I'm not sure what was the most valuable advice I gleaned:

    1.  Build a reliable network.

    2. Watch out for falling buses.

    3.  Don't party with raccoons.

    haha.  Your podcast had it all!

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @David Chappell thats awesome. Market has been tight here recently so congrats on your buys.

    I purchased a few months back a property in Bessemer to BRRRR. Renovations are finishing up this week and I'm looking to rent out and refi soon.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    Nice, congrats! Any idea on who you are going to use to refi? Im having some trouble finding a bank that will give a decent rate AND let me refi before 6 months.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @David Chappel - I'm using a broker, her name is Sorita Pollnitz. But it will be refinanced in my personal name. Another person is Guy Hunt at Noble Bank in Birmingham. Last I checked they were tepid because of COVID, but they may have changed their stance. DM me if you're interested and I can give you their contact details. 

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Hey Pope & David. I'm an investor in Birmingham along with being an appraiser for the last 29 years. I mainly do fix and flips for myself but I know the Birmingham market pretty well. If you ever have questions, feel free to reach out to me. Another property manager I know of is GK Houses. If you wanted another person to talk to. I don't know Mark personally but have heard good things about him also.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    @Bruce Glenn hi Bruce, I sent you a private message early last night. I am about to be in the refinance stages of my process and I would like to get some tips on how to get the highest appraisal possible. Any tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @David Chappell I am also using Mark Buyers from signal rents. Would highly recommend. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    I cant help on the BRRRR part but I'm a realtor and wholesaler here in Birmingham. Let me know if I can be any assistance

  • Real Estate Agent · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2019 · 253 posts · 128 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Pope Lake:

    @David Chappell thats awesome. Market has been tight here recently so congrats on your buys.

    I purchased a few months back a property in Bessemer to BRRRR. Renovations are finishing up this week and I'm looking to rent out and refi soon.

    Congrats, sounds like it worked out! I'm also investing in Birmingham from out of state. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.