Rental Property Investor · Lake Orion, MI · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 1 vote
I am a beginner in real estate and have a good amount of cash ready to BRRRR. I am currently looking at a property in Detroit Michigan for $7k because it obviously needs repair, the seller says it should be about $25-30k in repairs and if that were the case I would still have a solid amount in reserves in case of emergency.
I have a rule that if it has foundational issues it’s not worth it. Assuming there is no foundational issues would you advise a beginner to stay away from a repair of this size, or go for it?
First do not trust the seller to tell you how much it would cost in repairs. A property selling for $7K is going to need a lot of work and will probably be in a not so great area. A lot of the cheap houses may cash flow on paper, but in reality you will have higher turnover and more damage. Also if you want to do the refinance part of the BRRR, most banks will not lend you money on houses under $100K.
Investor · Montgomery County, PA · Member since 2020 · 255 posts · 238 votes
4y
I would verify with a contractor whether or not that rehab number is accurate before buying anything. There's likely a reason they are willing to sell for that low.
Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
I do BRRR in Detroit and I would say generally that a house listed that low is going to need 2-3X that budget as a minimum. I did a large duplex and had to put in about $75k to get it up to a nice rental option.
Investor · Member since 2020 · 201 posts · 92 votes
4y
I would be very wary of a house for $7K needing only $25K in repairs. Make sure the numbers, rehab, foundation and other aspects of the house are accurate.
I am a beginner in real estate and have a good amount of cash ready to BRRRR. I am currently looking at a property in Detroit Michigan for $7k because it obviously needs repair, the seller says it should be about $25-30k in repairs and if that were the case I would still have a solid amount in reserves in case of emergency.
I have a rule that if it has foundational issues it’s not worth it. Assuming there is no foundational issues would you advise a beginner to stay away from a repair of this size, or go for it?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Jake, you are going to learn 100 times more info by DOING instead of ASKING. Let's be honest - this is Detroit and you are only talking about risking around 30k.... if you were to take an L it's no money really. If you think the property is in a decent area with other rehabs going on around it do it. All these guys out here gathering info for years on end before they buy something could have learned a ton if they just quit being soft and pull a trigger.
First do not trust the seller to tell you how much it would cost in repairs. A property selling for $7K is going to need a lot of work and will probably be in a not so great area. A lot of the cheap houses may cash flow on paper, but in reality you will have higher turnover and more damage. Also if you want to do the refinance part of the BRRR, most banks will not lend you money on houses under $100K.
First do not trust the seller to tell you how much it would cost in repairs. A property selling for $7K is going to need a lot of work and will probably be in a not so great area. A lot of the cheap houses may cash flow on paper, but in reality you will have higher turnover and more damage. Also if you want to do the refinance part of the BRRR, most banks will not lend you money on houses under $100K.
This is true on the lending side. If there are people looking to finance in Detroit, I have a reference for a local bank brach that will do them.
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
4y
You will need to wait 6 months to refinance this property if you want to cash out based on the ARV. This would be conventional financing. There is an option to do it earlier called delayed financing, but that will only get you purchase price plus closing costs.
Real Estate Agent · Venice FL · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 9 votes
4y
Hey Jake! DEFINITELY make sure you do your own due diligence here and do not just trust the sellers word about the level of renovation required. In terms of your overall question - my first BRRRR was a full gut rehab SFH (more expensive than this one) and I don't think it is too much for a first timer if thats what you need here. I would just make sure you get together a great team to help you and plan every detail! Don't be afraid to pay for a quality contractor to help you along the way - I made the mistake of going with my cheapest option (a handyman) and taking on a ton of that work myself and definitely regretted that. Either way you'll learn a ton so good luck and have fun!
@David Kelly is the $100k minimum a fact? I am 99% sure it isn’t but it’s best to hear it from a lender.
I've financed as low as 34.9k you can always find a lender. It might take some leg work but the important thing is the area, budget, and getting that rehab done correctly. It might not be worth it if you cant pull your money out of it. If you have the cash to let it sit there while you collect the cash-flow maybe but I dont know what you end-goal is.