Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Peggy Liu
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Woes with the HOA in Austin

Peggy Liu
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 27 2013, 10:12

Just digging for some suggestions here.

I own a 1/1 condo in Austin. On Sept 9th, the tenant at my rental unit informs me that the unit is flooded. The tenant was out on business for some days. It is from a leak that occurred from a pipe from the upper floor. Apparently, the damage is substantial that the unit is inhabitable. At the moment, I am paying for lodging for my tenant at my expense.

I immediately contacted my insurance company, Fidelity, the following day. They said due to the HOA Declarations and Bylaws and it states...

"13.2. PROPERTY. To the extent reasonably available, the Association will maintain property insurance insuring against all risks of direct physical loss commonly insured against, including fire and extended coverage, in a total amount of at least 80 percent of the replacement cost or actual cash value of the insured property as of the effective date and at each renewal date of the policy, for the individual Units, for insurable Limited Common Element improvements, for insurable General Common Element improvements, and for insurable Areas of Common Responsibility improvements, but will not maintain any property insurance for alterations, additions, improvements, and betterments made by, or acquired at the expense of, and individual Owner or a Resident to the Owner's Unit, a Limited Common Element improvement assigned thereto, a General Common Element improvement or an Area of Common Responsibility improvement."

Because of the CC&Rs, Fidelity says that the HOA needs to be responsible for the repairs. Sounds easy, right? Well....

Three weeks into it, many emails and phone calls later, the HOA has neglected to take responsibility for the 11K water leak damage. I've attempted to explain that the HOA has the responsibility to insure each Unit for damages but the HOA came back to tell me that this is a maintenance issue with the owner on the third floor and not HOA. It has been a dispute of apples and oranges. I could not and have not been able to explain to the HOA that they need to be responsible regardless. I even had the handyman as well as an AC technician write an email to the HOA president indicating that they should cover the leak from the upper floor. I cannot hold off on my repairs any longer as it is a loss of rental income for me as well as expense for housing my tenant elsewhere.

So, today, I gave the go head to the contractor to get started. I had two lawyers look over the verbage of the CC&R and they say I have a strong case against the HOA for negligence and breach of contract for their failure to "maintain property insurance". I am also filing a liability claim against the HOA's insurance. We'll see how this pans out. If the liability department declines my claim, then I guess I have to go ahead with hiring one of the attorneys. So far, I feel quite defeated as I have gotten no where in three weeks.

I'm just wondering who else out there has any dealings with the HOA that is handled by Team Group Systems in Austin. And, if anyone else has any inputs on what else I should or shouldn't do while I wait for the HOA's insurance to get back to me.

Loading replies...