What is up with Dayton, OH

34 Replies

Hello all,

Is anyone familiar with Dayton, OH area?

There seems to be a lot of activity there (literally tons).

Also, multifamily home prices as well as SF's seem inexpensive.

Just wondering if anyone had any insight to this market...?

Thanks

Jordan

My husband and I are from the Dayton-Springfield area. Yes, it's a very good place to invest, particularly for buy and hold. If you are in need of a good realtor, He works with investors and can help answer any questions you might have about our region. His contact info can be found on his website, Rob Campbell Realty his phone is 937-561-5729.

@Jordan Vires Dayton is one of my markets too. Rumor is they are getting an Apple store soon. Over time you'll see that Dayton and Cincinnati are going to start bleeding together similar to how Fort Worth and Dallas are DFW with Arlington in between. Therefore, I'd look more in the south of Dayton. Plus a Chinese company announced recently they will be moving their facilities to a town in that area which will help as well.

Dayton is always going to be positioned well for companies that rely on trucking companies because i75 and i70 intersect just north of downtown. That's a huge convenience and you'll find a lot of companies headquartering their fulfillment centers in the area as a result.

@Joe Fairless , thanks for the information. I am brand new to the world of real estate investing and am in the hunt for my first property. I live in Mason, OH just north of Cincinnati and agree with your assessment of the two cities coming together at some point. I have to say though, that I have been hearing this since I moved here from Chicago in 1983, and while progress is happening, it has been a slower burn than I expected. Hopefully, as investment happens between the seams of the two metro-areas, it will accelerate progress both north (toward Dayton) and south (toward Cincinnati).

P.S. Inspired by your signature by the way! You were clearly one of the courageous ones who took the plunge when the market headed south. Great foresight!

Originally posted by @Brianna Schmidt:
@Jordan Vires talk with @Engelo Rumora he just started investing there

Thanks for the mention Brianna ;)

The Dayton market is HOTTER than a night in BANGKOK lollol

Every day I see numerous articles pop up about something new happening there.

Lots of tech companies moving into town due to cheap rents.

There has been a lot of gentrification happening downtown with new residential buildings going up.

Very exciting times ahead for the city of Dayton and we are very glad to have opened up the market.

I didn't know about the Apple store that @Joe Fairless mentioned.

That would be awesome.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Originally posted by @Jason Kha :
Hi Jordan

It is very interesting topic. any comment?

I find this video on youtube. please correct me if i'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Nnd1c_788

Thank you,

Jason.

Hi Jason,

Just watched the video.

The same can go for any city in the US. There are good areas within close proximity to bad ones and vice versa.

That's why the number 1 key to successfully investing out of state or country is the relationships established on the ground.

We are based in Toledo but have started investing in Dayton. We will never know the market as well as the local RE professionals so we leave everything up to them.

These relationships didn't happen over night and were years in the making.

As the saying goes "Business is easy, people make it difficult".

Make sure you have the right people around you that have your best interest at heart.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Originally posted by @Renee D. :
@Joe Fairless , thanks for the information. I am brand new to the world of real estate investing and am in the hunt for my first property. I live in Mason, OH just north of Cincinnati and agree with your assessment of the two cities coming together at some point. I have to say though, that I have been hearing this since I moved here from Chicago in 1983, and while progress is happening, it has been a slower burn than I expected. Hopefully, as investment happens between the seams of the two metro-areas, it will accelerate progress both north (toward Dayton) and south (toward Cincinnati).

P.S. Inspired by your signature by the way! You were clearly one of the courageous ones who took the plunge when the market headed south. Great foresight!

Cinci is awesome as is Columbus. There is so much potential in both cities.

I was especially impressed with N High St in Columbus. It has a very modern and slight European fee to it with cafe's, restaurant and shops.

I hope that maybe Toledo (our main market) can establish a tie with Chicago lollol

Although both are in different states.

Thanks.

Thank you @Engelo Rumora . I saw somewhere on the website or BP blog on recommend to invest on the west side and try to avoid on the east side, is it correct?

Thank you,

Jason.

Thank you @Engelo Rumora . I saw somewhere on the website or BP blog on recommend to invest on the west side and try to avoid on the east side, is it correct?

Thank you,

Jason.

Thank's Jason,

That is correct.

For Toledo the sweet spot is North of HWY 475 (preferable further North of Sylvania Ave) and West of Lewis.

I am actually looking at moving into that area in the near future.

Its hard to believe how good the numbers are that i am considering to live their.

I can tell you that I would never want to live where i invest haha the same would go for most other cashflow investors.

Thanks and have a great day.

Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora :
Thank you,

Jason.

Thank's Jason,

That is correct.

For Toledo the sweet spot is North of HWY 475 (preferable further North of Sylvania Ave) and West of Lewis.

I am actually looking at moving into that area in the near future.

Its hard to believe how good the numbers are that i am considering to live their.

I can tell you that I would never want to live where i invest haha the same would go for most other cashflow investors.

@Engelo Rumora Not sure what happened there . . . I meant to just copy your statement that "I can tell you that I would never want to liver where I invest . . ." Why is that? Are you talking about the city in general? The neighborhood? Just curious.

Originally posted by @Renee D. :
@Engelo Rumora Not sure what happened there . . . I meant to just copy your statement that "I can tell you that I would never want to liver where I invest . . ." Why is that? Are you talking about the city in general? The neighborhood? Just curious.

Hi Renee,

Thanks for your comment.

Its normally due to the areas being lower socio economic to where we are use to living and want to live.

This is not the case with our target market in Toledo.

The quality offered amazes and also how very few have recognized the potential these properties and areas they are in offer.

I have seen the same in Dayton.

Columbus is a bit higher end and more on the rise and I don't know too much about the markets in Cleveland or Cincinnati at this stage.

Ohio still has stigma over it. This will eventually change.

Thanks

@Jordan Vires et al. As stated, Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati, Ohio markets are hot and make fantastic buy and hold areas. Prices are low compared to the monthly rents.

Rehabs for retail are doing well also.

As always having reputable local people to work with is key. Make sure you visit often if you are seriously looking to invest in the area. A single block can make a big difference in the neighborhood.

@Engelo Rumora Thank you for your prompt response again ! I'm sorry for newbie on the topic. The information I find on the website is not useful than the person who actual live there. I hope you don't mind I pick your brain.

How about Cleveland? is it good area to invest ?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/539+E+110th+St,+Cleveland,+OH+44108//@41.148266,-81.8552087,9z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x8830f952223e043d:0xb0c287b16be08e26!2m2!1d-81.608579!2d41.542519!1m0!3e0

Thank you,

Jason.

I'm going hi-jack this thread a little. I'm new to BG and have yet to buy my first investment property. I have been interested in buy and hold for a while. In fact I bought my first house at the end of 2012 (Arlington, VA) and have rented out the basement since day 1. Also, since I have moved to Dayton in Feb I have been renting out my home through AirBnB and have seen a nice return on my home.

My question is, I'm looking for my first rental property and I'm really eager to start. What should be the first home that I should look for? What was everyone's first buy and hold home? Was everyone into real estate before they bought their first home?

- Kyle

@Kyle Foster It really depends on where you are starting financially, and knowledge wise.

That topic is a complete discussion for another thread. I've seen people start as u did, renting a room, a basic single family rental, student housing, and even apartment buildings for their first rentals.

@Engelo Rumora Thank you for your prompt response again ! I'm sorry for newbie on the topic. The information I find on the website is not useful than the person who actual live there. I hope you don't mind I pick your brain.
How about Cleveland? is it good area to invest ?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/539+E+110th+St,+Cleveland,+OH+44108//@41.148266,-81.8552087,9z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x8830f952223e043d:0xb0c287b16be08e26!2m2!1d-81.608579!2d41.542519!1m0!3e0
Thank you,
Jason.

Thanks Jason,

I don't live in Cleveland and wouldn't know the market quite as well as these guys @Zoran M. and @James Wise .

Also, don't rely to much on the online platforms.

I actually have an article soon being published with the Investors Beat magazine on this exact topic.

Happy to email it to you once out.

Originally posted by @Kyle Foster :
I'm going hi-jack this thread a little. I'm new to BG and have yet to buy my first investment property. I have been interested in buy and hold for a while. In fact I bought my first house at the end of 2012 (Arlington, VA) and have rented out the basement since day 1. Also, since I have moved to Dayton in Feb I have been renting out my home through AirBnB and have seen a nice return on my home.

My question is, I'm looking for my first rental property and I'm really eager to start. What should be the first home that I should look for? What was everyone's first buy and hold home? Was everyone into real estate before they bought their first home?

- Kyle

Welcome Kyle,

Real estate is a numbers game. Send emails, make calls, attend meet ups, seminars, expo's. Ask many questions of other investors who are where you want to be. By keeping active you will eventually find your niche in real estate.

I like the saying "there are many ways ti skin a cat" lol

Same goes for making money in real estate.

Also, don't get discouraged if you loose $$$. I lost a ton of $$$ when starting out.

All this will mold you into a better individual and investor.

Just my experience so far.

Glad to hear so many positive things about the Ohio markets. I've just moved to Columbus and am literally amazed by the volume of good quality housing at low prices. I'm looking to purchase 2 properties this year in the area. To everyone's success!

@Jason Kha , you could be in a lot better neighborhoods than that one! East side inner city neighborhoods that are good for investment are North Collinwood, Larchmere and Little Italy (good luck finding anything for sale there!) Any east side suburb is fine, with the exception of East Cleveland and North Randall. There are plenty of places on the west side but I wouldn't know about those.

@Jordan Vires

To find out about an area go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what parts of the city they like/dislike and why. Ask them what they see expenses running per category per unit. What do they see them selling for per unit, what is the market occupancy rate. Ask them if they know anything coming up for sale. Great way to pick up some good info and possibly a deal.

Good luck

Paul

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here