Florida Winter Rentals

9 Replies

Like so many Wisconsinites my age, Florida sounds great this time of year... But like a friend has often said, why buy and be stuck in one spot? 

Is it reasonable to find 3-4 month rentals in FLA, to see what area a person would like the best? I would imagine it's far too late to find something now, but for next winter, or...? I know it would be expensive to rent, but I'd rather rent and see what area I like, then buy.

I've seen the AirBNB site, and it sounds interesting. Again, maybe rent for a few seasons, then buy where I like the most. Maybe spend a month in different areas instead of the whole winter in just one area,

Where does one start to investigate this matter?

Thank you,

Arnie

Seasonal rentals are readily available, generally about double the annual monthly rates, around 4 month minimums.  BNB I think would be more for shorter terms, maybe fitting the 1 month term.

Do you have a resource to find these rentals?

Many are listed on the local MLS's, and the typical CL, newspapers, etc. I don't know of any public source geared just to seasonal rentals.

Thank you.

Arnie check out www.vrbo.com. There are all kind of vacation rentals on there. I have one in Naples but it is locked up for 2015. My listing is #567068.

As a long-time Naples LL, I would suggest that renting is by far the better alternative to buying.  My tenants pay far less than the cost to own and I'm talking "seasonal" renters (3-6 months).  There may still be a window where buying makes more sense; especially if you buy a property that does not have rental restrictions - many Europeans come for a month or two during the summer.  I've been lucky and have had the same (great) tenants return for up to 10yrs.  I have 3 places in Naples and would be happy to discuss this further.  PM me if you like.

Originally posted by @Arnie Guida :

Like so many Wisconsinites my age, Florida sounds great this time of year... But like a friend has often said, why buy and be stuck in one spot? 

Is it reasonable to find 3-4 month rentals in FLA, to see what area a person would like the best? I would imagine it's far too late to find something now, but for next winter, or...? I know it would be expensive to rent, but I'd rather rent and see what area I like, then buy.

I've seen the AirBNB site, and it sounds interesting. Again, maybe rent for a few seasons, then buy where I like the most. Maybe spend a month in different areas instead of the whole winter in just one area,

Where does one start to investigate this matter?

Thank you,

Arnie

Check www.airbnb.com , www.vrbo.com, www.homeaway.com, look up a few big vacation rental operators there and call them, and search online for people who have their own websites. There's probably some local site too, but those are some places to get started. I'd be happy to take a multi-month rental at a good price in my vacation unit.. (but it's in Oakland! Not Florida!)

@Arnie Guida   definitely check homeaway.com. You can browse cities and search by dates or use the "I don't have a specific date" feature to see types of places available. There's a pretty amazing selection, and you can find some great values. Many owners will post monthly rates, along with nightly or weekly.

If you see a few places you like, you can email the owner or manager directly from their page. One of the complaints with homeaway is around inconsistent service from owners, and the fact that some owners don't reply quickly to questions or inquiries. You don't want to deal with people like that. Also read reviews from past guests.

Many owners are very responsive and would probably prefer to rent for longer time frames, because it cuts down on turnover costs. I booked a Mexico vacation last January through homeaway, and it was a great experience, very easy overall. I wouldn't use craigslist or any site where you can't verify ownership.

As others have mentioned, vrbo.com is another site you can look at, also owned by homeaway. Many of the properties are the same, but the search format is slightly different.

I hope you find something good. It's too cold already and it's not even December... ugh..

Homeaway.com is THE website to use for central florida vacation rentals. it's much cheaper than you might think as well. You can usually find homes last minute, and also negotiate month by month leases (usually they're listed nightly). We work with a lot of out of town investors, and I direct all our investors to Homeaway.com to get a pulse on the market for what home rentals are fetching in the short term market. vrbo.com is popular in more temperate states, usually NC mountains, Tennessee, etc.. but the big one here is Homeaway.com

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.