Getting set up with an LLC - DFW, Dallas, Austin, Texas

6 Replies

Hello all,

I have been operating as a sole proprietorship for my wholesaling business and I would like to get set up with an LLC and work with a recommended real estate expert CPA, or get it set up through a real estate attorney.

I assume since my business is Texas-based it would be better to have a Texas-focused CPA and/or attorney, but I'm not sure about that.

Can anyone make any recommendations with people they work with?

Thanks in advance! 

Jacob

I hear Veil Corporate is a pretty reliable company. Check them out.

Thanks @Matthew Rembish  I just checked out their site. They seem to be based in Utah and would get my business registered in Utah.

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on the pros/cons of registering my business in Utah when my investing business is in Texas?

I would recommend lonestarlandlaw. Not sure if I can use there url without breaking any advertising rules. Just google the name. Based out of Houston. I used them to setup a series LLC.

Originally posted by @Jacob Michaels :

Thanks @Matthew Rembish  I just checked out their site. They seem to be based in Utah and would get my business registered in Utah.

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on the pros/cons of registering my business in Utah when my investing business is in Texas?

Hi,

Keep in mind that although you have your business set up in Utah, you will still need to register your Utah business in Texas to do business here legally.  Since many of your deals will be here, as well as your office, you have to register as a foreign entity which will cost an additional $750 on top of your registration for Utah (Yeah...Texas doesn't make it easy for you).  

Whether you're considered foreign is based on your state of formation, not your office location.  There are also penalties for commencing business in Texas, but failing to register here.

Setting up an LLC is pretty simple to do, unless you have a complex structure or ownership.

Let me know if I can guide you further.

I was kind of disappointed how much it costs to set up an LLC in Texas. It is in the 500 ballpark! When I lived in Colorado, it was literally like 50 bucks for a Colorado LLC. Every state is different. I would suggest asking yourself what it is you want/need an LLC for before spending the cash.

@Sebastian Gast  Where did you see that? I set one up last year and it was about $300. I did everything myself through the tx website.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.