CPA with REI needed in Santa Cruz California area

2 Replies

Hello my beautiful BPers! Its time for me to change CPAs. My old one is a real estate investor himself so he completely understands my thinking about real estate investments, and understands small c-corps, thus my legal practice, as well. But he is nearing retirement and so its time for me to begin the hunt for a replacement. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

My clients often ask me for CPA referrals, so there is a great possibility that working with me (and doing a good job) will bring in multiple referrals, too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jen

Originally posted by @Jenifer Levini :

Hello my beautiful BPers! Its time for me to change CPAs. My old one is a real estate investor himself so he completely understands my thinking about real estate investments, and understands small c-corps, thus my legal practice, as well. But he is nearing retirement and so its time for me to begin the hunt for a replacement. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

My clients often ask me for CPA referrals, so there is a great possibility that working with me (and doing a good job) will bring in multiple referrals, too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jen

Hey Jenifer,

What area of law are you involved in?

I know of a few good accountants that specialize in real estate investors, business owners, flow through entities and the taxation that follows them which is what REI's typically utilize.

To determine what's best for you we'd need to know the scope of work that is involved with your specific situation to see what level of tax professional is best suited to serve you.

IE we dont want a person who needs a min 1040 cost of 350 to be paying a tax professional who charges a min 1250 on a 1040 filing as it would not be cost effective for that person.

Hope that helps.

Hi @Albert Bui , I am a transactional real estate and business lawyer. I work with the investors here on BP who are in California, among others. And I am a real estate investor dreaming of the day when I have created so much passive income that I dont have to work this hourly job. Although I love my work so much that I'd probably still do it. 

My experience with CPAs is that they understand real estate investing by the books. However, those who are real estate investors themselves have a deeper level of understanding the transactions and give better advice on the risks/taxes.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.