How to determine is a lead is a good deal or not

How to determine is a lead is a good deal or not

Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 6 votes

Hello, 

I wanted to ask, how can I determine if a property I am researching is a good deal for a flip? 

I currently live in NYC and I am looking for properties in PA, CT, and NJ and I see good prices but I'm not really sure if it'll be a good investment. Any tips ?

btw, I am looking at these properties on Realtor.com and Zillow.com

:)

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Olympia, WA · Member since 2011 · 45 posts · 12 votes
8y

Congrats on starting your journey!

The old rule of thumb is: After Repair Value X 70% - Repairs=Max purchase price. There are tons of other variables such as level of rehab, size of the property, how competitive the local market is for flips, level of profit required, etc. It is really just good for back of the napkin kind of math.

You'll want to look at nice, fixed up comparable properties for your ARV. Then work back from there. There's a lot more to it, but that's a quick and dirty answer! Whether or not it is a good deal FOR YOU (specific strategy for your markets, financial situation, level of skill and experience, etc.) , and not just a 'good deal', is a whole different story!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Olympia, WA · Member since 2011 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Congrats on starting your journey!

    The old rule of thumb is: After Repair Value X 70% - Repairs=Max purchase price. There are tons of other variables such as level of rehab, size of the property, how competitive the local market is for flips, level of profit required, etc. It is really just good for back of the napkin kind of math.

    You'll want to look at nice, fixed up comparable properties for your ARV. Then work back from there. There's a lot more to it, but that's a quick and dirty answer! Whether or not it is a good deal FOR YOU (specific strategy for your markets, financial situation, level of skill and experience, etc.) , and not just a 'good deal', is a whole different story!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the reply ! Another questions, How do I check how competitive the market is or the comps around the area ? Are there any other sites I can check? P

  • William CollinsPro Member
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    8y
    @Catherine Morel the sites you are looking on you will need to scour for deals. Look for property which has been on the market greater than 90 days. Also you need to focus on a smaller market so you can gain knowledge in it. Real estate is local, but can be done remotely. Pick a zip code, learn it, know the demographics, study the crime patterns, where are the schools, where are the major employers. All of this you can do from your laptop, but you need to focus.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thanks !! 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Catherine Morel

    If you're working with a realtor it will be easier for them to generate comps thru MLS, you can also do it yourself but might take longer..

    You might also want to consider getting in contact with a Wholesaler to get leads for flips..

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I haven’t reached out to a realtor. I am trying to figure it out myself. I have no idea how to contact a wholesaler. I am working on networking so I can meet people in my area that can help me start this journey. 

    Thank you for your response !

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 469 votes
    8y

    I have no experience with flipping, but I am in the process of purchasing a rental property in Little Rock, AR.  As you know, NYC is just too expensive.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Wow far way from home. I haven’t looked for deals that far yet 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.