Tips on marketing to evictions

10 Replies

I've just started marketing to evictions in my area and I'm actually finding two other ways to increase my marketing at the same time. Luckily I live in a state that has most resources online (Virginia), in Pennsylvania it's harder to find this information, so your area might be good or not.

I look through our court system each day, I can search by date, name, etc. I search by date and the list shows me plaintiff, defendant, and type of hearing. I'm looking for Unlawful Detainer and it's super easy to just scan down the list (I have a county court and a city court, in a smaller location so there aren't many hearings each day.) As I'm scanning I notice that a lot of the filings are the same people and or companies. Some I know are apartment buildings, easy to skip over, a lot are LLC's so they are investors, and then there are the one offs that are likely people that became landlords when they couldn't sell their home. Those are the people I want to send a tired landlord letter to.

The other listings, people that own multiple properties or LLC's, these are potential cash investors, so I set up a different letter for them. They may want to sell, or buy more, so I talk briefly about both.

If I click through the case listing I can also see the attorneys for both parties, so now I have the list of attorneys that handle evictions. I send them a letter to keep an ear out for landlords that want to sell. I also mention probates as they likely deal with those as well.

So from one list I get tired landlords, cash investors, and attorney leads! This is something that a VA can easily do as well.

Haha, Brian!

I love marketing, wish I could get paid for giving people marketing ideas for businesses I'll never create. That is my dream job. I just had a brilliant idea for marketing locally that I'm trying, don't want to say what it is just yet, will see if it works. It's centered around partnering with businesses that do a lot of marketing already, that would add my info to their marketing and vice versa. It's marketing that sticks around for awhile because it's valuable, so my info will be sitting there for months rather than ending up in the trash immediately. (So vague, I know, lol)

How about this...

Pizza box, 4 up (4 quadrants)

1. Your ad We buy houses ad, we lease option houses
  2. Rent a center ad
  3. Pizza (store ad that made the pizza) coupon
  4. Video store rental coupon ad
  5. Or any other lazy mans store ad.

Use a Val Pak approach

• No cost to pizza guy, no cost to you
  • Get 2 other advertisers to split cost or 4 color flyer
  • Glue it to pizza boxes top

It's funny, I got 2 "tired landlord" letters when I evicted a tenant last month....someone is on to this in Broward County, FL ;)

In our state, Florida, the 3 day notice is recorded as part of the court proceeding for evictions. This shows the landlords phone number. I call about 10 a day. Free other than the cost to drive to the courthouse.

the title made me think you are marketing to people being evicted.

it's either too early or i need a second cup of coffee.

is there a newbe doc on how to find these listings?

@Misty W.  How do you track down the property address or the phone number?  My county site only has the plaintiff name, but not any other information.  

Do you have a general "tired lanlord" letter that you send out or is it tailored. Also what percentage of your target is made up of these landlords..I am adding this strategy to my campaign and would like to know about how much time I should spend looking for these guys. Thanks!

Ashley, how has the tired landlord letter marketing gone so far?

(469) 795-7535

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.