How do I search for code violations and/or eviction notices?

8 Replies

I'm in Massachusetts and I'm looking for landlords dealing with evictions or with code violations on their properties. Not sure where to begin - assuming these notices are posted online, where would I look?

Check your county or city court records online, that's where I find my evictions. I can check hearings each day and I just look for Unlawful Detainers. Code violations I haven't been able to find anywhere, I think most people just call the code office and ask. Sometimes I can find them in the newspaper, some cities publish repeat offenders.

In my area, code and grass/weed violations lead to the property being placed on the condemned list which is found online on the city's website in pdf format.

Also, I can do a name search on the local courts database to find any/all court proceedings free of charge.

Hey Slava. Im in Leominster and as far as evictions go you can search the MA housing court cases online. In Leominster there is a branch of Housing Court that sees cases on Fridays and the day's cases are posted in the lobby on the wall. Being public information you may be able to request a copy of the list weekly. Its a good question. I will make a point to stop in on Friday and ask about it. Im not sure about code violations though. I would start w the Health Dept. of a particular city and specifically the person that handles code enforcement. As a landlord, thats a good person to get to know.

you can start here: www.masscourts.org

I know the Housing Court Judge and City Inspections in my area. It's always good to have a good relationship with people in the court system. They will normally let you know when Landlords are in trouble. Also find out if your county has Legal Aid for people who need a Public Defender for housing court. I always give them my cards when people may need to sell their houses.

@Ann Bellamy Im hoping you can help me out with your expertise, when dealing with code enforcement leads, witch status should I focus on most to find the most motivation:

Docket Information:
-Not held but resolved
-Dismissed
-Continued
-Return of service
-Voluntary Dismissal
-Civil Complaint
-Defendant Defaulted
-Amendent Complaint Filed

Case Disposition:
-Voluntary dismissal
-Finding and order
-Agreement
-Pending

I'm not the one to help you, @Jose Castillo .  I've never pursued follow up with code enforcement.  I do, however, host a local FB group for Massachusetts real estate investors.  I'll PM you the link, you can join and post the same question.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here