No Results on List Source

6 Replies

Does anyone have experience with List Source not returning any results for your area?  I was searching several of the dare I say 'Rural' towns around me and List Source has no record of anyone living in these areas.  There is an estimated population of about 10,000 in the cities I was searching.  How would this lack of information also affect some of the other companies to purchase lists from for direct mail marketing?

Hi @Micah Redden  ,

You may be running into the Zero Effect.

Data services get their info from public records, and public records are notoriously inconsistent. If you filter for say, bedrooms, and a record does not have that data (even though the house most certainly does), it will return a zero.

Are you getting a zero after entering Geography only, or after using other filters? If it's other filters, toggle them on and off until you find the hole in the records, then work around it. If it's just geography, your best bet will be the County data base.

@Micah Redden  

What parameters were you using? I find that certain filters eliminate all results in one county and return a full compliment of results the next county over. It's strange, but if you play around with it, you can probably troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks for the reply @Jerry Puckett and @Jeremy T.  

I believe I am getting the Zero Effect in regards to Geography.  As soon as I enter a city name there are no or only a few results.  I think part of the problem might be the fact that the county does not have a very strong online presence.  Any suggestions as to how to access that information directly through the county?  I have run into the same problem with some other counties as well while pursuing a niche market.

I'm curious - what town did you search for and get 0 results?  I'm a bit of a Listsource "nerd" if there is such a thing so I like to know what it can and cannot do.

I'm assuming you're not talking about Monroe, as LS shows 13K addresses in that city.  When I zoom out on Google Maps, I don't see any named smaller towns around Monroe.  Only see Loganville, Bethlehem, etc.

There are also instances where CoreLogic (owner of Listsource) cannot get access to data from certain counties, so we have found "blank spots" in their data.  In most cases, Jerry is right - if we use a criteria that they don't have for an area the searches will come up blank until we remove that criteria.  Sounds like that is not the case here....

There are two towns around the cities of Monroe and Loganville.  They are Walnut Grove, GA and Between, GA.  (Real original name for the town located 'between' Monroe and Loganville).  I would consider these to be strong neighborhoods for farming prospects because of the median home values and school district.  

I am curious to know what my options might be in these areas; perhaps these might be an area where Every Door Direct Mail from the PO might work better?  If it is not available on List Source then there might be less competition from other investors has been my thought process.

I'm having the same problem myself. I tried the small city where I live Covington, IN and received no results. I believe like you the town isn't up with the times and doesn't have a strong online presence. We do have a tax assessor web site where we can pull up individual houses and owners but no way of trimming down with filters. I went to court house to ask if there was a way to filter and they told me, No. I also thought every door might be the way to go because mailing to the entire school zip code was less than 500 plus postcard.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here