Driving For dollars Marketing Letter

12 Replies

I have been driving for dollars and jotting down the vacant homes I find. I haven't been having good luck at all with the letter I use when I send it to the vacant home owner. Does anyone have a quick tip on the content to put in my letter or even how I should send it. For example, Does it help to hand write the letter when I send it out? Or is that a waste of time? Anything will help.

From my experience, handwritten letters are the best way to go. Don't give up.

I've been wondering the same thing.  Does anyone have a script that has been successful for the handwritten letters?

I’ve also heard using handwritten letters work the best, and putting the letter in an invitation style envelope. I believe there are templates here in the BP resource center. My biggest problem is finding the home owners’ name and address to mail to. Our county’s tax assessor site doesn’t provide the info I need. If anyone has a ninja way to find absentee homeowners’ info, I would greatly appreciate it.

@Tysean Jackson Handwriting is a waste of time if you want to be scalable, but it's a good way to start if you're bootstrapping with very little money. 

Sending you a message with templates since that's what you want. 

You will get a higher response rate writing by hand, but it's not very scalable and consumes a lot of time. It's a $5-10/hour activity, when negotiating deals is a 4-5 figure/ hour activity. If you spend your time on low value activities, then you will have less chances at the higher value activities.

@Jose Castillo thank you!

Thanks for all your help guys! @Ray Lai I completelty agree with you. I am always thinking scaling and the thought of writing a letter to hundreds of people terrfifies me! But if I have a template I believe the content should be frinedly, personable and something I would feel open to responding to. Does anyone have a template they feel open to share?

@Tysean Jackson Sent you a message on where we store our templates

Who do you mail the letter to? The vacant house address?

@Doug Haisten I mail the letter off to the the owners address. If I'm lucky when I check county site, the owner should have a different address.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here