User Stats

Votes
Kai Soremekun
Votes |
Help me analyze this Los Angeles Duplex

Kai Soremekun
Posted Mar 6 2023, 00:09

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

My first time trying to analyze a deal... be gentle. :)

I actually really like this property. I've been looking at properties since last April.  This is the first one I'm digging on.
4b/2b duplex + basement
Cannot legally rent out basement as live-in space, has low ceilings although weirdly there's a bathroom down there. It is raw, unfinished. Kind of weird and unusual in LA. Thought, with minimal clean up, maybe I could rent out to peeps for storage. Did not calculate this in my numbers.
detached 2 car garage (possible ADU?)
1 unit delivered vacant comes with the garage (move-in ready, could be updated a bit but totally livable as-is)
other unit under market rent $975/mo no parking

A nice bit of backyard with three fruit trees

My scenario:

I live in Hollywood and would like to stay local despite this being a crazy friendly tenant state.
I'm leaning towards rentvesting because I live in a rent stabilized huge 1b/1b, pay $590/mo and I love my neighborhood.
I've also managed the building I live in for the last 8 years so have experience and would manage the duplex myself. But did put something in the calculator for managing anyway.

I have 500k.
I'm an artist and could not get approved for a traditional loan. (last year was not good income wise except for getting the 500k :)
Have great credit score... teetering on 800

Found a low doc loan product requires 30% down if primary resident, 35% if investment + 24 month reserves. Current rate 6.5% | 6.375% if I do auto payments with their bank.
No penalty for refinancing down the road.

I eventually want to move my mom down (maybe in two years) and into one of the units but I can't charge her market rent. Fixed income, coming from Canada where exchange rate is going to be brutal.
Will probably ask my 2 brothers to contribute but no guarantees there.

So the numbers will become worse unless the other unit becomes vacant.
I can cover what's left on the mortgage for a couple of years with leftovers from my 500k barring a major disaster.  My income should increase to help with that too.
But it's LA so cash flowing out the gate seems challenging especially when looking for a neighborhood you feel comfortable putting your 80+ year old mom in and that is reasonably close to me in Hollywood.

I had a really positive emotional response to this property.  First time since I've started looking at properties. But I know you can't make business decisions based on that. 

Other thoughts wondering about mid-term airbnb or making it my primary residence while still keeping my apartment and doing short term airbnb's where I can go stay at my "office" when it's rented out. But not sure I'm going to enjoy the labor of that. Of course this is just until my mom arrives but looking at it as an alternative to doing am eventual tenant relocation.

Open to any thoughts, creative ideas on this or in general given my scenario.
I have never owned real estate... so I'm a tad freaked out.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot from any input offered.

Would also love to meet any local real estate agents who have personally invested in small multi-families in Los Angeles.

And finally...
I know there will be some, given my cash, who recommend out of state but I don't think I'm emotionally up for that as a first investment especially as I prepare to care for my mom in her final years.
And I have no interest in leaving Cali

Loading replies...