Votes |
North Knoxville Duplex BRRRR

Cory King
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Posted Oct 12 2023, 21:05

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $185,000
Cash invested: $55,000

Contributors:
Gregory Crane

Sourced on the MLS. Partnered with a member of our local investor community & BP member who fronted the down payment on the private money loan. I cover insurance and utilities. We hired a local GC to manage the rehab which is largely surface level outside of some bigger cap ex items like roof, windows, hvac. Thankfully those are a once in 20 year items so we should be clear after that. Duplex was built in 1997 so newer materials used helps keep from other big updates from being done. ARV looks to be around $325k and we expect each side to rent for $1500/mo range. Planning to BRRRR this and hold.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Growing area of town where new developments are headed and prices are still below the median for the area w/ a 10% growth upside in the short term.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Sourced on the MLS. Being able to offer cash aka hard money made things easier to win seller over

How did you finance this deal?

Hard money loan

How did you add value to the deal?

New roof, windows and surface level updates throughout

What was the outcome?

In progress

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Opening yourself up to partnerships unlocks more opportunities. Leaning on each others strengths goes a long way. Trust is huge. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't find deals on the MLS.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 13 2023, 06:50

Congrats - looks like a great pickup

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Nov 28 2023, 07:36
Quote from @Cory King:

Investment Info:

Contributors:
Gregory Crane

Sourced on the MLS. Partnered with a member of our local investor community & BP member who fronted the down payment on the private money loan. I cover insurance and utilities. We hired a local GC to manage the rehab which is largely surface level outside of some bigger cap ex items like roof, windows, hvac. Thankfully those are a once in 20 year items so we should be clear after that. Duplex was built in 1997 so newer materials used helps keep from other big updates from being done. ARV looks to be around $325k and we expect each side to rent for $1500/mo range. Planning to BRRRR this and hold.

Growing area of town where new developments are headed and prices are still below the median for the area w/ a 10% growth upside in the short term.

Sourced on the MLS. Being able to offer cash aka hard money made things easier to win seller over

Hard money loan

What was the outcome?

In progress

Opening yourself up to partnerships unlocks more opportunities. Leaning on each others strengths goes a long way. Trust is huge. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't find deals on the MLS.

Congrats! Looks like a great opportunity.

What are you thinking on the back end for financing? I don't have clients in Knoxville in particular, and I assume with it being a duplex that the cash flow will be good even with a healthy ARV, but I am intrigued by your thoughts and early calculations.

Hopefully the ARV comes back healthy and you've got a good opportunity to cash flow and grow!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cory King
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Dec 4 2023, 19:33
Quote from @AJ Exner:
Quote from @Cory King:

Investment Info:

Contributors:
Gregory Crane

Hard money loan

What was the outcome?

In progress

Congrats! Looks like a great opportunity.

What are you thinking on the back end for financing? I don't have clients in Knoxville in particular, and I assume with it being a duplex that the cash flow will be good even with a healthy ARV, but I am intrigued by your thoughts and early calculations.

Hopefully the ARV comes back healthy and you've got a good opportunity to cash flow and grow!

Thanks for the well wishes. Planning to refinance. Should be a full BRRRR w/ a lil extra. Reviewing some options now as we're about 2 weeks out from completion and in the process of leasing. Evaluating conventional vs DSCR loans. $325k ARV projection