Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Deal analysis - White Plains

Mike A.
Posted Mar 18 2024, 14:51

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can look at this deal analysis as I am going through a multiple offer situation.  It's a 3 unit multi-family, which is vacant. The owner cleaned up the entire place. New floors, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.  It's about 1m, and should bring in between 75k - 92k a year gross.  I've added the breakdown to this post and attempted to use conservative numbers.  I find that it's vacant a plus btw.  I know I can fill the units within a month's time.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Haley
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Dallas
Replied Mar 23 2024, 04:27
Quote from @Mike A.:

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can look at this deal analysis as I am going through a multiple offer situation.  It's a 3 unit multi-family, which is vacant. The owner cleaned up the entire place. New floors, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.  It's about 1m, and should bring in between 75k - 92k a year gross.  I've added the breakdown to this post and attempted to use conservative numbers.  I find that it's vacant a plus btw.  I know I can fill the units within a month's time.

Are you assuming 100% percent occupancy? What is your interest rate? The return looks suspicious but I can send you a model with your deal in it if you send me all the underwriting assumptions.

User Stats

Votes
Josh C.
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 23 2024, 09:40

@Mike A.

Maintenance and vacancy happen. We manage a tons of properties and 40-50% expenses (not including debt) is very common. If you are really scrappy maybe 35%. But over a 5 year average these numbers are too optimistic.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 27 2024, 14:31

Hey @Mike A. - not to rain on anyone's parade here, but why are you being so optimistic with your modeling. I've noticed you didn't make any assumptions on vacancy or maintenance/repairs.

Sure the property might be turnkey, but its real estate and things happen & need ongoing maintenance. Just my $0.02, never assume 100% occupancy. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:20
Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

Hey @Mike A. - not to rain on anyone's parade here, but why are you being so optimistic with your modeling. I've noticed you didn't make any assumptions on vacancy or maintenance/repairs.

Sure the property might be turnkey, but its real estate and things happen & need ongoing maintenance. Just my $0.02, never assume 100% occupancy. 

I have three homes within two blocks of this home. I know the market pretty well and do most all repairs myself. I can fill with 30 days all units..  Not worried about that.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:21

I stopped reading after 1 mill and 85k gross, using the avg. that's TERRIBLE, so about 3% net cap, not good. Mike you are not ready to get involved in RE just yet. Please get to your local meetings and learn. This is beyond terrible at these numbers.  Also, what about repairs and vacancy? MAX I would pay is 650k, and that would still be below avg of a deal. 

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:22
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:

Are you assuming 100% percent occupancy? What is your interest rate? The return looks suspicious but I can send you a model with your deal in it if you send me all the underwriting assumptions.

Pre-approved at 6.5%.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:28

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:28
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I stopped reading after 1 mill and 85k gross, that's TERRIBLE, so about 3% net cap, not good

Around 5% with 25% down.

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:29
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Its a terrible deal, 

Thanks for you 2 cents. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:32
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I stopped reading after 1 mill and 85k gross, that's TERRIBLE, so about 3% net cap, not good

Around 5% with 25% down.

No its not, 

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 20:04
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Around 5% with 25% down.

No its not, 

Whatever you say.  According to 

https://goodcalculators.com/cap-rate-calculator/

and other calculators, it is.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 28 2024, 05:30
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Around 5% with 25% down.

No its not, 

Whatever you say.  According to 

https://goodcalculators.com/cap-rate-calculator/

and other calculators, it is.

Its 3- 5%  at best, which again is TERRIBLE, walk away from this deal. It's overpriced by at least 400k, 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sean Haley
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Dallas
Replied Mar 28 2024, 05:36
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:

Pre-approved at 6.5%.

Well, you have your answer right there. Based on the numbers you provided, your cost of capital is higher than your best case cash yield (cap rate). Below is a back of envelope calculation:

Gross Revenue (Best Case) 92K
Expense Margin @ 35%
NOI 59.8K

Purchase Price 1M
CR  6%

I agree with most of the comments, this doesn’t look like a good cash flow investment. Theres always more deals, keep hunting or negotiate a price discount.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 28 2024, 07:50
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can look at this deal analysis as I am going through a multiple offer situation.  It's a 3 unit multi-family, which is vacant. The owner cleaned up the entire place. New floors, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.  It's about 1m, and should bring in between 75k - 92k a year gross.  I've added the breakdown to thisLove post and attempted to use conservative numbers.  I find that it's vacant a plus btw.  I know I can fill the units within a month's time.

Pre-approved at 6.5%.

Well, you have your answer right there. Based on the numbers you provided, your cost of capital is higher than your best case cash yield (cap rate). Below is a back of envelope calculation:

Expense Margin @ 35%
NOI 59.8K

Purchase Price 1M
CR  6%

I agree with most of the comments, this doesn’t look like a good cash flow investment. Theres always more deals, keep hunting or negotiate a price discount.

LOVE IT! ANOTHER pen and paper analysis, Coffee shop millionaires :) I NEVER use a calculator, no need, welI........I stopped readying after the 1 mill purchased and gross of about 80, NOTHING else matters. We all (those with experience) its about 40% in expenses, 

Keep crushing it. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike A.
Votes |
Replied Mar 28 2024, 15:08
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:
Quote from @Sean Haley:
Quote from @Mike A.:

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can look at this deal analysis as I am going through a multiple offer situation.  It's a 3 unit multi-family, which is vacant. The owner cleaned up the entire place. New floors, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.  It's about 1m, and should bring in between 75k - 92k a year gross.  I've added the breakdown to thisLove post and attempted to use conservative numbers.  I find that it's vacant a plus btw.  I know I can fill the units within a month's time.

Pre-approved at 6.5%.

Expense Margin @ 35%
NOI 59.8K

Purchase Price 1M
CR  6%

LOVE IT! ANOTHER pen and paper analysis, Coffee shop millionaires :) I NEVER use a calculator, no need, welI........I stopped readying after the 1 mill purchased and gross of about 80, NOTHING else matters. We all (those with experience) its about 40% in expenses, 

Keep crushing it. 

It's actually 925k, but it's okay.