Investment Property Deal Analysis - Lakeland, FL

Investment Property Deal Analysis - Lakeland, FL

Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 4 votes

Here's the deal, it looks good on the surface, what am I missing?

List price: $260,000 (will negotiate off this)

8 total units/Avg rent is $525

C class property

100% occupied with long-term renters

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
12y

@Jason Abbott what is the actual breakdown of the units? Rooms, etc... Location? Have you toured the property? Have you run the full numbers?

If you finance the property it will be a commercial loan, which I like because it runs off the income of the property. Local lenders that I have spoken with are looking for 25-30% down with 3 or 5 year balloons, and rates just slightly more favorable than what Brady pointed out.

Even better would be if you could get the owner to carry the financing. Could be a win for him on the tax front and a win for you if you could negotiate it close to 5% and keep it that way for a large number of years or perhaps the duration of the loan. Perhaps the owner does not need $50k lump sum, you would need to find his needs and then come up with a solution that works best for both of you.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2010 · 45 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    @Jason Abbott

    I think you might have found a deal here. It obviously depends one location and quality of the building and any major repairs that need to be done. But based on the numbers it looks alright. This is what I see:

    Purchase Price = 260,000

    20% Down = 52,000

    Gross Potential Income = 50,400

    50% of GPI = 25,200 which is also your NOI

    Debt Service / 80% LTV / 20 yr amm / 6% = 17,882.16

    Cash Flow = 7,317.84

    Cash on Cash = 14.1%

    Keep in mind that this is a C property so your expenses could be higher then 50%. That is just a guideline to do a quick evaluation. Obviously you will need to get P & L statements from the seller for the last 3 years. I also like to get a year of utility bills and 2 years of tax returns. No one is going to inflate their income on a tax return.

    It just depends on what your investment goals are, but I think most people would say a 14% cash on cash return is pretty good. That will be even higher if you manage this yourself.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Agreed and thanks for reminding me about the utilities and water. I've requested the P&L statement, not the tax returns.... much appreciated!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 138 votes
    12y

    9.69 cap rate

    14.1 COC

    Seems just shy of a great deal to me.

    Definitely check out the property to get a better idea of its condition, but I'd go in planning to shave at least 15-20k off that purchase price.

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    expect a fair amount of turn over with smaller units, meaning your vacancy reserve should be higher and plan on spending gas money driving over to see tenants.....showing the property etc.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Account Closed:

    Debt Service / 80% LTV / 20 yr amm / 6% = 17,882.16

    Is the 20% down/20 year a "standard" in 5+ unit purchases? In the 2-4 MFHs I've been working with/looking at, 25% is the minimum down payment and 30 year mortgages are available.

  • Gavin WelchPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 181 votes
    12y

    @Jason Abbott I've always been told to look at the tax returns.. Too many people 'cook' their books to raise the price of the multifamily properties.

    I live in Lakeland and if you need some advice, message me.

    Gavin

  • Investor · Member since 2010 · 45 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    @Aaron Montague

    The 20% down with a 20 year am is what I have been getting the last few years on my deals. I might get away with only 20% down because I have been with this bank for about 5 years, but I think other investors are still seeing 80% LTV.

    @Gavin Welch

    I agree with looking at the tax returns. No one will exaggerate their income or lower their expenses on their tax return. Especially if this is your first deal, it is a great way to know exactly what you should expect for cash flow. Once you have a few deals under your belt and know your market, you will know how a property should perform and wont need to look at the sellers tax returns anymore.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
    12y

    @Jason Abbott what is the actual breakdown of the units? Rooms, etc... Location? Have you toured the property? Have you run the full numbers?

    If you finance the property it will be a commercial loan, which I like because it runs off the income of the property. Local lenders that I have spoken with are looking for 25-30% down with 3 or 5 year balloons, and rates just slightly more favorable than what Brady pointed out.

    Even better would be if you could get the owner to carry the financing. Could be a win for him on the tax front and a win for you if you could negotiate it close to 5% and keep it that way for a large number of years or perhaps the duration of the loan. Perhaps the owner does not need $50k lump sum, you would need to find his needs and then come up with a solution that works best for both of you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.