• East Meadow, NY
Votes |
5 condo deal

Mo Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Posted Mar 14 2014, 12:39

I am purchasing 5 condos at $16000 a piece. Total price 81,000. Four 2 bedrooms and One 1 bedroom. 2 bedrooms rent for 650 and the one bedroom will rent for 500. HOA is $159 a piece include water, sewer and trash. Taxes are $350 a year average and insurance is approximately the same. Each condo needs approximately $5,000.00 in work. Is this a good deal?

User Stats

Votes
John Adamkewitz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wisconsin
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wisconsin
Replied Mar 14 2014, 12:46

Were they Foreclosed? Whats the HOA's financial health? Strictly buy and hold? Beware of stated HOA monthly fees.

John

User Stats

Votes
Mo Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Replied Mar 14 2014, 12:57

they are not foreclosure, buying from another investor. I already own 3 condo's in the building. The HOA board is horrible, this with give me majority ownership in the building and and opportunity to get rid of current board members. I am a buy and hold investor.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Adamkewitz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wisconsin
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wisconsin
Replied Mar 14 2014, 13:09

@Mo Thomas Hey Mo, I'm working on a very similar deal right now, Myself.

If Your renting 3 units right now, then You have an inside track.

I would get Very familiar with the actuall HOA docs on file, I would also gett My attorney to evaluate them, and help with the Power Play strategy, after holding the majority vote.

Make sure that You know all the problems and differed maintenance issues, because with majority ownership, comes majority of the costs of the upkeep.

Good Luck, John

User Stats

Votes
Mo Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Replied Jun 5 2014, 00:51

I finally closed on the first of the 3 condo's. I am now a majority owner in the building. I am in the process now of getting on to the HOA board.

User Stats

Votes
Mo Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • East Meadow, NY
Replied Nov 5 2014, 15:20

I have purchased more condo's in the building, I now own 8 of the 17 units.  A couple of the units are a couple horror show.  I am slowly renovating them one at a time.