• SFR Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Duplex Evaluation Part Duex

Tim C.
  • SFR Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Posted Apr 16 2014, 16:57

I now have the duplex in my previous post under contract in Charleston, SC. It will be a good cash flowing property but I have some questions/concerns about the home inspection.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/88/topics/123588-duplex-evaluation

Since this is my second investment property (first was old primary residence), I have complete the home inspection and a few findings have me concerned.

The seller had enclosed the two porch areas with a fourth wall (roof already in place). She put vinyl flooring over the concrete and it is now essentially an enclosed room between the dining room and the laundry room. During the home inspection the inspector noted elevated moisture in this area. Also, there is not a permit for the fourth wall since this was done in the 90's and the contractor claims it did not require a permit then.

Second, the seller had the roof replaced a year ago. During the home inspection, the inspect found an area where the roof was sagging in the location where the fireplace flue was previously. He mentioned there should be an H clip but two 2x4's would fix the problems.

Should these items be of concern? Should I try to renegotiate price even though I already have it under contract (she stipulated the home was to be purchased 'as-is' in the existing contract).

I appreciate any input/comments.

Loading replies...