Duplex Evaluation Part Duex

3 Replies

I now have the duplex in my previous post under contract in Charleston, SC. It will be a good cash flowing property but I have some questions/concerns about the home inspection.

Since this is my second investment property (first was old primary residence), I have complete the home inspection and a few findings have me concerned.

The seller had enclosed the two porch areas with a fourth wall (roof already in place). She put vinyl flooring over the concrete and it is now essentially an enclosed room between the dining room and the laundry room. During the home inspection the inspector noted elevated moisture in this area. Also, there is not a permit for the fourth wall since this was done in the 90's and the contractor claims it did not require a permit then.

Second, the seller had the roof replaced a year ago. During the home inspection, the inspect found an area where the roof was sagging in the location where the fireplace flue was previously. He mentioned there should be an H clip but two 2x4's would fix the problems.

Should these items be of concern? Should I try to renegotiate price even though I already have it under contract (she stipulated the home was to be purchased 'as-is' in the existing contract).

I appreciate any input/comments.

The sagging roof which, if the inspector's assessment is correct, could be fixed with a couple of 2x4 supports is so minor as to be a non-issue. Common problem, easy fix.

The "elevated moisture" might be a different story. Is there any indication as to where the moisture is coming from? And what is meant by elevated? Just slightly high?

The missing permit probably won't be an issue as long as what was done is not otherwise problematic. In other words, was the work done well?

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the moisture is just in the concrete from the porch. My guess is that there is a moisture barrier under the foundation portion of the house but the concrete porch did not have this barrier. The homeowner put up the fourth wall and did not put any moisture barrier under vinyl after enclosing the space. In talking with the inspector he mentioned I could possibly remove the vinyl and put a few layers of sealant on the concrete then put ceramic tile over it.

There doesn't appear to be any moisture damage per se but I'm hoping I don't lift up the vinyl and find mold. Time will tell.

Pulling up the vinyl and sealing the concrete might be a viable option but once you do it seems unlikely you could easily put ceramic tile on top of that. I don't think the thinset base for the tile will stick to a sealed floor and it would be a lot of work to attach tile backer to a sealed concrete floor. I may be wrong about that but I'd talk to a tile guy first if you plan to go that route.

Other options would probably work though. Maybe just an epoxy paint on the concrete would be the best option or one of those coatings that look like brick. I've seen some of them and they look pretty good.