House-hacking, to now 2 units bringing in $4,300/month!

House-hacking, to now 2 units bringing in $4,300/month!

Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $288,000
Cash invested: $50,000

2 Units with a pool on the west end of the beach. Rent both for $4,300 a month (Utilities included)! A cash cow for sure!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I wanted my first home to be a smart investment, so I started off house hacking. Having half my mortgage paid was the best decision I ever made!

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Went under contract for $300k and was able to negotiate to $288k after inspections!!

How did you finance this deal?

Hard Money lender

How did you add value to the deal?

Mostly Cosmetic repairs and renovating the backyard.

What was the outcome?

What started as a house hack has turned into a reliable, cash-flowing investment that more than covers its costs!

Lessons learned? Challenges?

The house is older, so there are a few things I wish I’d paid closer attention to. I’ve learned the importance of setting aside repair funds for any unexpected expenses. Overall, it’s been a solid investment that cash flows well.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

MYSELF! :)

9Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
1y

Can you elaborate on this..?  288k is a big discount down on a seller that had multiple offers. When was the purhcase ?

Even at list (350K) producing 4k/month is very good and tough to find on mls. Especially somewhere near a beach. 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Can you elaborate on this..?  288k is a big discount down on a seller that had multiple offers. When was the purhcase ?

    Even at list (350K) producing 4k/month is very good and tough to find on mls. Especially somewhere near a beach. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Sorry, updated price to $300k*. Still, it was a solid negotiation. The seller had used a listing service to put the property on the MLS but was also the main point of contact. This gave me the opportunity to work directly with him and clearly explain why, based on the inspection, the property was worth less. I provided a copy of the inspection report, outlined each major concern, and estimated the repair costs. In the end, my reasoning was solid, he already had a good offer in hand, and I really wanted the property, so he was motivated to take less and get it closed! :)

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1y

    Congratulations on a great deal. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bri Bowhall:

    Investment Info:

    Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $288,000
    Cash invested: $50,000

    2 Units with a pool on the west end of the beach. Rent both for $4,300 a month (Utilities included)! A cash cow for sure!

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    I wanted my first home to be a smart investment, so I started off house hacking. Having half my mortgage paid was the best decision I ever made!

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    Went under contract for $300k and was able to negotiate to $288k after inspections!!

    How did you finance this deal?

    Hard Money lender

    How did you add value to the deal?

    Mostly Cosmetic repairs and renovating the backyard.

    What was the outcome?

    What started as a house hack has turned into a reliable, cash-flowing investment that more than covers its costs!

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    The house is older, so there are a few things I wish I’d paid closer attention to. I’ve learned the importance of setting aside repair funds for any unexpected expenses. Overall, it’s been a solid investment that cash flows well.

    Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

    MYSELF! :)

    How did you finance this deal?

    Hard Money lender

    So have you done a refinance to pay the Hard money lender off or is it a Hard money lender that will fully amortize?

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Yeah, more of a private money lender so wasn't planned to be a quick pay off!

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Looks like a great deal - Congrats Bri!!

  • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    That looks like an amazing deal! Very inspiring!

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bri Bowhall:

    Investment Info:

    Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $288,000
    Cash invested: $50,000

    2 Units with a pool on the west end of the beach. Rent both for $4,300 a month (Utilities included)! A cash cow for sure!

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    I wanted my first home to be a smart investment, so I started off house hacking. Having half my mortgage paid was the best decision I ever made!

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    Went under contract for $300k and was able to negotiate to $288k after inspections!!

    How did you finance this deal?

    Hard Money lender

    How did you add value to the deal?

    Mostly Cosmetic repairs and renovating the backyard.

    What was the outcome?

    What started as a house hack has turned into a reliable, cash-flowing investment that more than covers its costs!

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    The house is older, so there are a few things I wish I’d paid closer attention to. I’ve learned the importance of setting aside repair funds for any unexpected expenses. Overall, it’s been a solid investment that cash flows well.

    Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

    MYSELF! :)

    Hi @Bri Bowhall, welcome to the BP Forum! Congrats on this property/project! Are you looking to acquire more properties, either as another house hack or not?

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Yes, I want to do more long term rentals as well as a short term rental. Hopefully in the next few years!

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bri Bowhall:

      Yes, I want to do more long term rentals as well as a short term rental. Hopefully in the next few years!


      That's awesome. What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What would you target for the purchase price? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in PCB or somewhere else?

    • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Bri Bowhall:

      Yes, I want to do more long term rentals as well as a short term rental. Hopefully in the next few years!


      That's awesome. What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What would you target for the purchase price? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in PCB or somewhere else?


       Hey Jaycee! I think I'm open for SF or multi units. PP would probably be under 400k for sure. Most likely still 2+ years out from my next purchase. I think I would like to stick to more semi local to be nearby :) 

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bri Bowhall:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Bri Bowhall:

      Yes, I want to do more long term rentals as well as a short term rental. Hopefully in the next few years!


      That's awesome. What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What would you target for the purchase price? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in PCB or somewhere else?


       Hey Jaycee! I think I'm open for SF or multi units. PP would probably be under 400k for sure. Most likely still 2+ years out from my next purchase. I think I would like to stick to more semi local to be nearby :) 

       @Bri Bowhall Something like this: 5607 Sunset Ave, PCB, FL 32408?

  • Athens, GA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Hey Bri,

    This deal sounds incredible especially getting $4,300/month in rent from a $300k purchase. I had a few questions I’m really curious about:

    1. How did you find a property at that price point that could rent for that much? Was it just a great market, an off-market find, or something else?

    2. You mentioned $50k cash invested was that your full down payment, or did that also include closing costs and repairs?

    3. I saw you used a hard money loan instead of a conventional mortgage what was your reasoning behind that choice? Was it about speed, property condition, or something else?

    4. Looking back, do you think this type of small multi-family with strong rental demand is still findable in today’s market, or was this more of a right-place-right-time situation?

    • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alex Quinlan:

      Hey Bri,

      This deal sounds incredible especially getting $4,300/month in rent from a $300k purchase. I had a few questions I’m really curious about:

      1. How did you find a property at that price point that could rent for that much? Was it just a great market, an off-market find, or something else?

      2. You mentioned $50k cash invested was that your full down payment, or did that also include closing costs and repairs?

      3. I saw you used a hard money loan instead of a conventional mortgage what was your reasoning behind that choice? Was it about speed, property condition, or something else?

      4. Looking back, do you think this type of small multi-family with strong rental demand is still findable in today’s market, or was this more of a right-place-right-time situation?

      Hey Alex! Thanks for your reply. 
      1. 1. Found it on the mls! I am a realtor here in PCB so I was able to put my skills to work!
      2. 2. Down payment, I have put around 30k into repairs and cosmetics. 
      3. 3. Went the private money route since I was newer to my career at the time so it was easier for me to get financing! 
      4. 4. I think properties like this are still around, harder with so many mls listings being overpriced but it is doable. I usually always have some off market deals of seller's who don't want to list on the mls but are motivated if you would like me to add you to my investor email list :) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Yeah thats a great location too!

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Yes, with more cosmetics updates I bet it could rent $1500-$1600!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Great deal! I wish you continued success.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    This is a fantastic deal. Congratulations! Have you considered doing short term rental with the other unit?

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    I rent both units out now long term, but the house is not zoned for STR unfortunately.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.