What to look for in SFR Portfolios

What to look for in SFR Portfolios

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi Everyone, to be transparent, I'm an investor AND a multifamily broker here in Houston, and I'm working on taking out an SFR Portfolio deal. I have a good deal of expertise valuing and selling Multifamily deals, but I'm less confident in my ability to work this portfolio of Single Family Rentals. Reason being that I don't know what serious investors in Single Family Homes look for (metrics, targets and objectives).

From my time as an investor, I understand that *typically* Single Family tends to appreciate even more than Multifamily (in general absent intentional vale-add) and I also know that here in Texas, Single Family Rentals are not ideal for Cash Flow relative to other places with difference Insurance and Property Tax environments, but what I don't know is how investors weigh those realities together and look to grow a portfolio. Do they simply seek a minimal return for cash flow but hedge on appreciation? 

I know that most investors will only get in at heavily discounted rates, but I'm seeking crowd wisdom on what the less common investors who are market buyers look for. Thanks in advance!

0Reply
55 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    SF are a pain to transact as a portfolio, both for buyer and seller. Typically they are run down. You basically value them on comps, adjust with a flat number or percentage for condition and then adjust some more for investor discount.

    Due diligence is a pain for both the listing agent and the buyer. Much better to treat them as a serial flip. Get them vacant one by one at a pace your construction crew can handle and then run that pipeline into MLS.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    what return are you looking at as a multi-family investor?

    Have you evaluated whether the cash-flow and appreciation from the SFH portfolio will be higher than that?

    I normally aim for an 8% return in real estate(of which my portfolio is mostly SFH). It is harder to achieve now given where prices and interest rates are. The 8% return is a mixture of cash-flow and appreciation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.