Deal Or No Deal? What Would You Do?

Deal Or No Deal? What Would You Do?

Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes

Ok here's the story, I have a Super MOTIVATED homeowner who just lost his job, got a divorce and has no cash reserves saved up. He want's to walk away from his property but needs $15,000 to find a new place and pay off his car.

I offered to buy his home subject 2 and I'm trying to mash the numbers to make this work. Here's what we're working with, the remanding mortgage is $134,398 at 4.5% interest and PITI $919 the ARV for this property is $189,000. The property could rent for $1,350 a month but I'm leaning more towards selling it with owner financing. This property is also in great condition and needs 0 repairs as the owners actually renovated it themselves after they purchased it in 2011 as an REO.

What would you guys do? Also, what rates would you offer a private lender for the $15,000 for lets say 5 years.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

Mike,

$15K is too much to give upfront. I would give him $5K for the deed now (and for him to move out) and give him another $5K when you find a tenant/buyer. You can easily get a tenant/buyer or sell this on owner financing and get $10-$20K upfront. In this way, you have effectively no money down and you don't need a lender for $15K. What's his alternative? Right now...he is getting $0 cash and his house can get foreclosed on.

@Brian Banks , you can't get a HML on this deal even if your life depends on it. Usually HMLs lend at 70% LTV and they require you to have 10%-20% skin in the game. How do I know this? HMLs are brokers and they utilize money from private lenders like me.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Mike,

    A distressed seller and it's in primo condition already!?!? This is a dream for me. I'd find a hard money lender and a partner (if you can't drop the $15,000 on him yourself) and then just flip the property. Or try and find a HM lender that lends 75% ARV and talk the seller down to $10,000 and flip it without a partner.

    If you want to beat cap gains tax, flip it as a lease option for 12 months so it's considered a long term investment.

    Get rich slow!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Mike,

    $15K is too much to give upfront. I would give him $5K for the deed now (and for him to move out) and give him another $5K when you find a tenant/buyer. You can easily get a tenant/buyer or sell this on owner financing and get $10-$20K upfront. In this way, you have effectively no money down and you don't need a lender for $15K. What's his alternative? Right now...he is getting $0 cash and his house can get foreclosed on.

    @Brian Banks , you can't get a HML on this deal even if your life depends on it. Usually HMLs lend at 70% LTV and they require you to have 10%-20% skin in the game. How do I know this? HMLs are brokers and they utilize money from private lenders like me.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Wendell De Guzman:
    Mike,

    $15K is too much to give upfront. I would give him $5K for the deed now (and for him to move out) and give him another $5K when you find a tenant/buyer. You can easily get a tenant/buyer or sell this on owner financing and get $10-$20K upfront. In this way, you have effectively no money down and you don't need a lender for $15K. What's his alternative? Right now...he is getting $0 cash and his house can get foreclosed on.

    @Brian Banks , you can't get a HML on this deal even if your life depends on it. Usually HMLs lend at 70% LTV and they require you to have 10%-20% skin in the game. How do I know this? HMLs are brokers and they utilize money from private lenders like me.

    Post of the Day! Everyone read this! Listen to Wendell's Podcast!

  • Property Manager · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    The last thing I should do is get in the middle of experienced wholesalers discussions (because I know little about that trade) but I could get HMLs allllllllllll dayyyyy long for this in Austin. Maybe it's a regional market thing for you guys I guess?

    This is a 183% return on capital gains in my calculator.....

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brian Banks:
    The last thing I should do is get in the middle of experienced wholesalers discussions (because I know little about that trade) but I could get HMLs allllllllllll dayyyyy long for this in Austin. Maybe it's a regional market thing for you guys I guess?

    This is a 183% return on capital gains in my calculator.....

    You can't get a hard money loan on it because you can't put the lender in first lien position. On subject to, the existing lender has that position and won't subordinate it.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brian Banks:
    The last thing I should do is get in the middle of experienced wholesalers discussions (because I know little about that trade) but I could get HMLs allllllllllll dayyyyy long for this in Austin. Maybe it's a regional market thing for you guys I guess?

    This is a 183% return on capital gains in my calculator.....

    It does look like a good deal, though.

  • Property Manager · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus: You can't get a hard money loan on it because you can't put the lender in first lien position. On subject to, the existing lender has that position and won't subordinate it.


    Ah, I forget the order of operations there. Thanks Jon.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brian Banks:
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus: You can't get a hard money loan on it because you can't put the lender in first lien position. On subject to, the existing lender has that position and won't subordinate it.


    Ah, I forget the order of operations there. Thanks Jon.

    You might get a private money lender to do it. Friends or family.

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    Great input guys! I appreciate it, I'm meeting with several lenders this week to figure out what I'm going to do with this. The seller definetly needs 15k and he wouldn't budge at 10k.

  • Savannah, GA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    Have you considered doing a personal loan with your bank? The rate may be the same or better than a hard money lender. What about a secured loan against a car of yours?

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    Scott a personal loan is out of the question.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 299 votes
    12y

    I left a suggestion earlier, and it was evidently mistaken as an offer and either deleted or moved to Marketplace. I won't spend the time to rehash the particulars again, but my solution was a wraparound mortgage, if you can find a real estate attorney that can craft the docs and handle the closing. If I was the HML, I'd suggest/require something like a $150,000 wrap at 6.5% on a one year note with a 30 year amortization and would also negotiate an equity split of the net profits if you sold or minimum fees/points if you decided to refinance and take the HML out. Also, if you rent at the rate you stated, you'd still cash flow $250+/month. Good luck to you!

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Wendell De Guzman Wendell I like your post but when you ask "what other options does he have" I think you overlooked the fact that he has a house that can be sold as move in ready and 50k in equity. His easy option is to sell the house through a realtor.

    I would get this under contract quick. Find a partner.

  • Real Estate Agent · Clinton, MD · Member since 2009 · 54 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    @Mike,

    In my opinion, @David Begley's suggestion is the way to go - Offer a wrap around mortgage  with a $20k down payment or something on those lines and you are winner - You may also get someone (Tenant/Buyer) to do a Rent with Option to purchase - Sell for 200k, Collect 15k - 20k Non Refundable Option Consideration, Rent for $1400, offer $200+/-  Rent-Credit for timely payments and you win here too.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.