Closed my first deal last week. Pictures!

12 Replies

So this property was a VA foreclosure listed for $96,900 3/2 1400 sq ft house, dual cooled, 9500 sq ft lot, built in 1980. The carport was enclosed in 2008, but was listed on the MLS as unpermitted. I found the permits for the space, as well as the tax records showing that it was being taxed as a 1760 sq ft home.

Carport enclosure addition

I found the average sqft selling price in the area over the last year was $77. Which would make the house about $109k @ 1400 sqft (good deal to live in, not as a flip), but at 1760 sqft it is $135k. Now it needs some upgrades, bathrooms, and the kitchen especially - but the layout is good. 

Guest Bath

Master

Laundry room, large and lots of storage, floor to ceiling cabinets not pictured.

The backyard is very nice for this area.

I got it for $98k after a multiple offer situation. 20% down 15 yr 3.375% loan (I don't like paying interest very much). Payments are $710 a month (15 yr mortgage mind you, including insurance and taxes) and would rent for $925-1000 a month. I plan on staining the kitchen cabinets, adding draw pulls, and laying down new tile. The bathrooms would get new tile and vanities, with a double in the master and new shower.

There are 3 houses for sale in the neighborhood, with 2 under contract. One is 3/2 1238sqft with 7,800 lot for $129,900. The other is 3/2 1477 sqft with a pool for $155,000. If they close, that would make $105ish a sqft. 

This house I will live in for at least a year, and then rent out if I can find another deal.

That's a good deal, Justin.  Why not consider living in it for 2 years and then selling for a tax free gain under IRC Section 121 provisions?

Awesome deal! Keep us posted on how it all goes.

@Justin E.  - Congrats!  Keep us posted on the progress.  

@Justin E.  

Congrats on getting your first deal.

Have you given yourself a budget for rehab?

What kind of profits are you aiming for when everything is all said and done?

Congrats, @Justin E. - pics look great!

Best,

Ryan

Very nice @Justin E.  

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your first deal!

@Jon Klaus   I have thought of that, but I do want to get a few properties while taking advantage of the lower owner occupier rates. 

@Chris Vail I estimate $8k for rehab. I will do what work I can myself to keep costs low.

That's a beautiful home. Congratulations on your deal.

Congratulations on your deal and new home.

It looks like a great place to live.

I can't agree with you on the 15 year mortgage though.  With the same terms, you are spending and extra $209 per month.  When it comes to the rental, you are really going to wish you had that money coming in.  I recommend a refi to 30 year when you start renting the place.

Congrats on your first deal!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.