Monthly expense - $740

Annual Net - $44,989

Average monthly - $3,749

What are your thoughts?

What sort of a property is this?

These two numbers are WAAAAY out of whack:

Average Gross Monthly - $4,490

Monthly expense - $740

If this is a residential rental (apartments, SFR, etc), or some non-triple net property that expense esitmate is far too low. If its a triple net it seems high.

OTOH these two numbers seem quite promising:

Cash - $249,000 ( might be able to get it for around $225,000

Average Gross Monthly - $4,490

@Jon Holdman  Sorry.  This is actually a mobile home park.  The park owns several homes and rents them and the rest are privately owned and the park just collects lot rent.

@John H. Since it is a MHP there are a few questions you should be asking: How many MH's are on the property? How many are park owned? Does it use sewer or a septic system? Is the water/power metered? What type of MHs are in the park? how many double wides? how many single wides? What is the condition of the park owned homes are they old?

@John H.  I love these properties. If you could get financing on $225,000, your 20% downpayment would be $45,000. That means you'd get your money back in just over a year and the rest is gravy! ...at least that's the initial view.

After you get over the initial excitement:

1 - look into the condition of the units which are park owned

2 - ask for several years of P & L statements

3 - look for insurance, property tax, repair costs and inspection expenses.

4 - double check the income numbers to be sure the 2011 and 2012 net incomes were as good as the one presented to you.

5 - figure out how you plan to manage the place and factor that into the numbers.

if, after closer analysis, things still shake out anywhere near 100% cash on cash, jump on it!

Looks really promising!

MHP's usually sell at 10-15 cap rates.  I would expect expense ratios to be in the 40% range.  That would mean that a park should sell at 4 to 6 times rent.

At the gross you stated that would put the value at $215,520 to $323,280.  I have a hard time believing the seller's claimed expenses.

Due Dilligence is the name of the game here.

Good Luck.

Bill 

Need a lot more info to give you a proper assessment, but the seller (or broker) is clearly understating expenses. Bill is right, most stabilized parks will be in the +/- 40% expense load range. However, you've mentioned that this park has park owned home rentals. If there is a sizable percentage (20%+) of park owned homes, I would expect expenses to be closer to 50%. The difference is due to the increased maintenance, turnover and insurance costs associated with park owned homes relative to lot rent only tenants. 

Best of luck! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here