RE Development Question? Somewhat complex situation.

RE Development Question? Somewhat complex situation.

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 102 votes

There is a self storage facility for sale near where I live. The facility is right near the interstate. Part of the sale includes and additional 2 acres of land which is right beside the facility. The price is $600,000 for the 1.7 acre facility (60 units) and the 2 acres. I want to buy the facility and land but plan to develop a medium sized hotel. I have developed several over the past few years. The question I have is I don't want to have both the facility and land under one lien since I want to do a separate development. I spoke with the seller and they said they would accept two prices. I would pay $1 for the 2 acres of land and the remaining for the storage facility. This way the land I would own without a lien. Then my goal is to go to a bank and have the land used as equity for a downpayment. Is this possible or will the bank not consider the land since I only payed $1 for it?

0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I don't think any bank will do this with the land/improvement as the only collateral.  They want to see your skin in the game.  Do you have another asset you can use as additional collateral?  Or put the first portion of construction funds into the deal yourself?  Or sit on the land and season it.   Perhaps a bank will use the appraisal alone after a year or so.

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @Jimmy Klein Banks usually don't like land as collateral since it does not produce income, is not liquid and a liability (taxes). But you never know until you ask, wouldn't hurt to go to the bank and see what sort of financing can be made out of it. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 102 votes
    12y

    The question is not about the guaranty. We will have additional pieces of collateral, but I am referring to the land being used as equity. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.