Flooring Choices for a really basic fix and flip...Factory Seconds Engineered Hardwood?

6 Replies

My wife and I are starting our first ever fix and flip!  This is a minor job (paint, drywall repair, removing mirrored wall and wallpaper and flooring).  The kitchen is very dated, but in excellent repair, so we though we would leave it. There is lots of wood in the house (kind of unusual for a Central Florida home) so we don't want to go overboard with the renovation, the new owner may want to do something more drastic and the house is in very good condition.  That being said, here is our flooring debate:

1. Install some really cheap carpet, so that the home is move in ready, but could be customized by the new owner if they so desired, and they wouldn't feel guilty about removing the flooring.

2.  Install some inexpensive Factory Seconds Engineered Hardwood. I found a place called Reallycheapfloors.com that has some great deals.  Has anyone ever used them specifically, or factory seconds engineered hardwood in general

3. Install laminate flooring

This is a 1500 sqft 2/2 in the Metro Orlando area, block home built in 1984.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Where at in Metro Orlando?  A 2/2 is a tough sell, I dont know if you want to go too cheap.  Maybe it won't sell?  It may just blend in with all of the other houses out there and you could be stuck with this thing for a while

Unless your market is very different from the rest of the country, carpet is probably a bad idea. Carpet's out, hardwoods are in. Especially since you're not updating the kitchen, you'll want something nice to catch a buyer's eye.

Also a "very dated" kitchen is a big concern. Realtors always say "kitchens sell homes"... Do you want to post a picture? You might be able to get some feedback on ways to spruce it up without totally redoing.

Hey Patrick,

It is in the Winter Springs Country Club.  There are lots of 2 bedrooms in this particular neighborhood; they don't move as fast as the 3/2's, but as an opening price point to get into WSCC there is decent demand.  That being said, there are several on the market we will be competing with, so your comments about it getting lost in the competition has merit.

@Chad Busby   Sounds like a hardwood job to me. Since you aren't updating the kitchen, you need something to make the home stand out. I don't know about your market but here semi gloss hardwood seems to bring attention to the floor without it looking like I applied 10 layers of wax to it.

Jean, here are some pics.  Needless to say the butterflies are going.  

The other side of the kitchen 

Funky mirrored wall must go!  Sorry for the orientation.  You can see the wood (cedar?) beams on the ceiling.  There is lots of this wood trim throughout the house.  We were thinking of maybe a handscraped hardwood to kind of coordinate with it...

what, @Chad Busby  , you don't like the butterflies? ;)

I don't know what your price point is for this property, and obviously that will have to drive a lot of your decisions. But here's my (for what it's worth) opinion. Those cabinets are about as basic as you can get. If they are a standardized modern size you may be able to get new doors/drawer fronts. If they're an odd/custom size, you're stuck with either replacing them or at least painting them and replacing the hardware. I would totally get rid of those cabinets that have been stuck in over the "pass through" to the dining room. They look fine from the kitchen side but bizarre from the other side. Also, it will open up the space a lot, and there are still plenty of cabinets.

The woodgrain laminate is extremely dated. It also clashes with the natural wood. Changing that out would not be at all expensive for a kitchen that size, I'd at least price it and see what you think.

Basically, the rehab you're describing sounds to me like what would be appropriate (at least in my area) for a low/mid level rental, not a fix & flip. It all depends on what expectations are in your market, of course, so be sure that you have looked inside all the comparable houses for sale in the neighborhood. You want your place to be a bit nicer than those. If it's not, it will sit on the market and that will cost you money. Of course, if there's a huge demand right now in your market, people won't be as picky... 

Let us know how it goes!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.