Small SFH Opinions - You buy off these numbers?

Small SFH Opinions - You buy off these numbers?

Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 2 votes

I am just curious if anyone else thinks these numbers are good. It's a 2/1 SFR 648 SQFT, .4 acre lot that backs up to elementary school. Interior & Exterior are fine. Siding. Taxes are $243 per year.

Purchase Price - $26,000 

Mortgage - 0

Repairs - $1,000 (Its clean and well kept)

Total Cash Outlay - $27,000

Gross Rent - $540 (Rentometer.com says $590)

50% Rule - $270

NOI - $270

COCR - 1% Per Month

What do you guys?

0Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2013 · 96 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    It could be good, but I'd project out the expenses more precisely. The 50% "rule" is a rule of thumb. On a smaller house, you may find expenses are more than 50% because certain costs do not scale down below a minimum (water heaters, HVAC, service calls, appliances, etc.)
  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    First, the 50% rule is a basic estimate.  Before buying you need to estimate each element that makes up the expenses.  2nd, I find it more difficult to stay within 50% on lower rent houses.  It seems much easier if the rent is $1,000 per month.

    The last point is that I seldom find a property that doesn't need some rehab before I rent it.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Paul C.:

    It could be good, but I'd project out the expenses more precisely. The 50% "rule" is a rule of thumb.

    On a smaller house, you may find expenses are more than 50% because certain costs do not scale down below a minimum (water heaters, HVAC, service calls, appliances, etc.)

     Of course, I have not dove into my due diligence yet, this is just preliminary numbers. I think that so far the numbers warrant further pursuit. I will schedule a complete walk through and break down any cost I foresee.  

    Even if I increase my expense ratio to 60% and increase my rent ready repair work to $2,000. I would still be sitting at a .77% ROI per month.

  • Rental Property Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2013 · 96 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    One more suggestion I have is to balance percentage return with absolute dollar return. A high percentage return sounds good, but if the denominator is small, make sure it's worth your time and effort. I'd rather have a 7% return on a 100k property than a 10% return on a 25k property.
  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I can pay cash for the 25k but not the 100k, in starting out, wouldn't that be a better route to launch from?

    thanks Paul!

    -Jonathan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.