Old gas station property ?????

6 Replies

I'm wondering if anyone has been involved in buying a property that has been "cleaned up" by a state department of environmental management. I'm in the state of Indiana. So IDEM has spent time removing tanks and top soil for a clean bill of health. If I ask the state this question I get different answers. But I'm wondering if I purchase the property then do I take all liability in the future. Example if the state says it's clean and you can do x,y but not z on the property and I do that (only x and y). But the state or someone tests the soil years later (while I own it or while I'm selling it) and they find to high of contaminants left from the gas station clean up am I liable? Any dialog on this topic would be great. Thanks in advance

Wow maybe this is a sign. No one even wants to comment?

I think most people shy away from these.  One would "assume" that it's good and no future liability.  I know most times it has to be disclosed if the site was a former station and may be a tough sale in the future.

My knee jerk reaction is to pass and go with a few nice SFH rentals/lease to own homes in Greentown!

@Shawn Holsapple

Yup might jump over to my last post on the commercial forum. I had a few good returned comments there. 

I'm not sure if that @ thing works on my moblie 

I was told many, many years ago that old gas stations would make good locations for pizzerias, bagels, etc..  I know I've seen plenty of former gas stations turned into great food venues.

My guess about the future what if's about toxins, let your corporation or llc buy & own it, wouldn't that keep it away from you personally?

Mark have you spoken with an environmental engineer about doing a Phase 1 on it?

Yes Brandon. It is ready for the Phase 1 and a comfort letter. The "old" gas station part will remain a gravel lot to use the current building as a business. Larger development will require it to be used for building area. 

Also has anyone ever approached a town or city about doing a tax abatement? I was thinking of asking for a 3 yr tax abatement (if that's the right word) to help me help the city in getting it developed. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here